chapter 13

Violet

It feels like we have been walking for weeks but I know it's only been about 3 days. We got lucky by finding enough food and water for all of us. Well, there's only me, Carl, Rick, Carol, Judith, Daryl, Glenn, and Maggie. (AU- Yes, I know there aren't that many characters but just go with it). Not to mention that Maggie is pregnant and her baby could come any day now. This terrifies me knowing what happened to Carl's mom during the birth of Judith but we all just have to keep the hope that everything will be okay. 

"How far away do you think we are?" I catch up to Rick and walk next to him. 

"I say we are getting there." He says. 

Carl has been quiet ever since someone brought up Maggie being pregnant. It saddens me to see him upset and I feel him because his mom died during child birth and now Maggie is pregnant. I look back to see him staring at his feet so I go over to him and grasp his hand. He gives me a weak smile and I give him a smile back. 

Maggie is literally due any day now because she keeps having contractions and pain and other stuff. I just can't stop thinking about it because I doubt anyone here knows how to deliver a baby. 

"I know you don't want to hear this but I'm scared about Maggie." I say to Carl. 

"It's okay to talk about it. What happened to my mom happened a while ago and it sucks but now we have to focus on helping Maggie so she doesn't die like my mom." He says and his grip got tighter on my hand and it hurts me.

"Carl, you're hurting me." I say and try to loosen the grip. He looks at me as he lets go and I shake my hand. 

"Vi, I'm sorry. It's just hard to talk about it. I'm sorry." He says and the saddened look returns. 

"It's okay." I say and hug him.

"I don't ever want to hurt you." He says. 

"In the world we live in, a really tight squeeze on my hand will be the least of all the pain." I say. He pulls out of the hug and plants a kiss on my lips. 

***********************************************************************

We found a place to rest till the sun comes up. I lay on the ground with my head laying on the bag for comfort but it doesn't do much. I try really hard to shut the world out along with all the pain by laying on my side and closing my eyes and trying to not think about anything. 

"Oh no." I hear a voice say. I open my eyes and slowly sit up and turn around. I see Maggie holding a tree to hold herself up. 

"Maggie?" I say.

"Violet...my water just broke." She says.