chapter 3

Violet's POV

Flashback: July 11, 2010

"Where are you going?" I ask my mom. 

"There's something I have to do." She says while looking for her keys.

"Like what?" I question. 

"It's something important and only I can take care of it." She explains. 

"You know what mom, you're never here and I barely get to see you because you're always disappearing on me. You're never there for me and that's not the mom I used to have." I say, regretting each word. 

"I'm sorry, Violet." 

I turn around and see her still searching for her keys.

"Always remember what I told you." She says. 

"Which was?" 

"ogni angelo ha il suo lato diavolo." My mom says as she is putting her coat on. 

Every angel has its devil side.

When she opens the door, she turns around. 

"I love you, Violet." My mom says, looking full of guilt. "Always remember that." 

"I love you, mom." I say, then she shuts the door. 

I don't know if I'll ever see my mom again. 

End of flashback

Current day: January 25, 2015

So yesterday, I found a bag laying up against a tree with a bloody handprint. I haven't had the guts to open it to see what's inside but I really want to know what the letters AW means. 

"Hey Little Dixon." I jump at the words coming from a familiar voice. I look up and see Carl leaning up against a tree. "Sorry, did I scare you?" 

"Yeah, just a little bit." I say, while blushing. 

"Cool bag. Where'd you get it?" He says, while sitting down next to me. 

"Well, yesterday I went for a walk in the woods with Daryl and found it laying against a tree." I say. 

"What's inside?" 

"I'm not sure, yet. I haven't had the guts to open it. I'm still confused on the bloody handprint that was on the tree."  

"There was a bloody handprint?" He asks. 

"Yeah. I forgot to mention that." I say. "Also, I got attacked by a walker." 

"What?! Are you okay?" He asks, worriedly. 

"Carl, I'm fine." I say. 

The fact that Carl cares this much makes me like him even more. 

"I'm just glad that you're alright." He says, and wraps his arms around me, giving me a hug. 

Daryl's POV

"I didn't know you had a daughter." Carol says. 

"It's because I never told anyone." I say. 

"Violet is still a young girl and she's going to need a dad like you to protect her and teach her." Carol says. 

"I don't think she'll need me to protect her. She's already a strong person for surviving on her own for this long." I say. 

"She has Carl." Rick says. "It's obvious he's in love with her." 

"Same with Violet." I say. 

Suddenly, we hear screaming so we grab our weapons and head towards it. I see Violet and Carl and a huge herd of walkers heading towards them. 

"What the hell happened?" I yell. 

"I was running and my foot got caught under this rock and Carl can't lift it." Violet yells back. 

Rick and Glenn run over to her and lifts the rock off of her foot. 

"We don't have enough ammunition to shoot each one of them." I yell. "Violet, can you walk?" 

She gets up and tries to walk but she can't. 

"Nope." She says. 

"I got it." Carl says, and picks Violet up and starts running. 

Violet's POV

"Nope." I say. 

"I got it." Carl says and he picks me up bridal style and starts running with me. 

"Thank you." I say, looking up at him. 

"I would never leave you; I care way too much about you." He says. 

As he carries me and runs through the woods, I lay my head on his chest.

He stops and puts me down. 

"Why'd you stop?" I ask. 

"The group." He says while breathing heavily. "We've lost them." 

"What? What do you mean? I thought you were following them." I panic. 

"They're not anywhere here. They're gone." He says. 

Gone. 

"I can't do this anymore. I've lost way too many people and I can't lose my dad and all of you guys. This apocalypse is literally hell on earth and I just can't do it anymore." I say as I break down in tears. 

The next thing I know, Carl's lips come crashing onto mine.

"What was that for?" I ask, while smiling. My heart is racing.

"In a world like this, it was now or never." Carl says, whille biting his lip.