Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I woke up the next morning with a stiff neck. I got up and stretched, my back crackling as it returned to a normal position.

The world around me sparkled in the early morning sunlight, each droplet of dew catching the beams and shining like crystals.

Everything was fresh, the air was pure, sweet and clean.

I began to wander around, taking in the vibrant autumn around me.

I came to a river, across was a mother deer and its faun drinking the cool water. I watched them until they had slowly disappeared into the woods.

The sound of roaring water caught my attention. I headed upstream until I saw the source of the sound.

An enormous waterfall towered above me, the mist creating rainbows in the sun.

“Beautiful…” I whispered.

Maybe a swim?

I was wearing a tee-shirt, and jeans. Not very comfy wet…

I looked around, making sure there was no one before I stripped to my underwear and dove in.  

The water was delicious, warm enough so that I wasn’t freezing, but cold enough to be refreshing.

I’m not sure how long I was swimming but by the time I pulled myself up out of the water the sun had moved to the highest peak of the sky.

I climbed under a rock ledge to stretch out and dry. I was almost asleep when I felt myself being lifted off the ground.

My eyes shot open as I felt myself being flung through the air.

SPLASH!

I landed in the middle of the water; confused and disoriented I thrashed about, trying to swim in the swift current. 

An evil laugh reverberated around me.

The water now felt cold and uninviting, stinging my eyes and burning my throat as I struggled to breathe.

I heard a thud, my vision crossed a moment as a throbbing pain spread across my head. Spots appeared as the world became increasingly brighter.

Then all went black.

~8~*~8~

When I opened my eyes I found myself lying against a rock in the middle of the river, and by the surroundings I was some ways away from the waterfall.

I tried to swim to shore, but I was extremely weak. The best I could manage was a little better than a wave of my hand.

“Last one in’s a rotten egg!” someone shouted, splashing into the water.

I tried to turn my head. Throbbing pain shot through me, I squeezed my eyes shut to bear it, but it was too much. A soft moan escaped my lips.

I could hear the people in the water stop and then after a moment someone began swimming towards me.

“Hey, careful!” a familiar voice shouted. “The current is strong there.”

The swimming halted a moment, before cautiously continuing.

“My God, it’s a girl.” He exclaimed.

I felt him grab my limp hand and check for a pulse.

“She’s still alive, but very cold.”