FOURTEEN (EDITED)

Start from the beginning

Harry bites his lip. "You're lying," He says.

"No," I sigh.

"So you're telling me a girl like you went through all her years of schooling including college and never kissed anyone?"

"What do you mean, a girl like me?"

"Oh, come on. Look at you. You basically scream preppy popular girl that dates the star football player."

"I think you watch too many movies."

"It's hard for me to believe you didn't have your first kiss until you were twenty three."

"Well, it's true," l say.

"Was it good, at least?"

"What do you mean?"

"Is Doctor Boy a good kisser?"

"Does he turn you on?"

I start. "What? I'm not telling you that."

"I bet he doesn't." Harry smiles teasingly.

"Maybe he does. You don't know." I cross my arms over my chest, blushing furiously. "And frankly, it's none of your business."

Harry laughs. "Right."

"Stop, I say. "You're making fun of me."

"No, I'm not. Come on, next question."

"Uh... what's your mother's name?"

Harry tenses, smile dropping from his face. "Anne," He says slowly. He crosses his his arms over his chest his breathing accelerating slightly.

"Are you okay?" l ask him.

"Fine," He says through gritted teeth. "I'd just rather not talk about my mother."

I nod slowly. "I'm sorry, I didn't know--"

"Drop it," He snaps and l recoil.

I look away. must have hit a nerve.

Harry takes a breath and looks back at me, his expression shifting yet again. "My turn," He says.

The way his demeanor changes so rapidly gives me whiplash but I nod.

"Is Aaron your first boyfriend?"

l shake my head. "No."

"But you said he was your first kiss."

"He was."

Harry raises his eyebrows. "Care to elaborate?"

l smile. "I went out with a boy named Kevin in fourth grade," I tell him. "But I caught him holding hands with another girl by the monkey bars, so I dumped him."

Harry laughs. "You heartbreaker."

"Aaron is my first serious relationship, though." chew on my lip. Maybe I think it's serious, but he completely forgot about me today.

"Do you love him?" Harry asks.

"What?"

"Aaron? Do you love Aaron?"

I lean back in my seat. I've never really thought about it. Aaron is smart, sweet and kind. He has a great job and he's very attractive. But he forgets about me constantly, and like Harry said, he doesn't exactly treat me right.

"I...I don't know." I look at Harry. "Why?"

I hadn't realized Harry and I have shifted toward one another, Harry almost leaning across the center console. Our faces are only a few inches apart, and smell the faint scent of cool mint on his breath. He suddenly leans forward, our lips brushing slightly. My heart does acrobatics, my pulse quickening. The mix of Harry's proximity and the sound of the rain outside intoxicates me, and I momentarily forget Aaron.

Aaron.

I jolt back, running a hand through my hair. "The rain's letting up," I say shakily. In reality, the rain hasn't let up at all, it's still pouring buckets. I grab my things and get out of the car.

I am an idiot.

What happened back there? Was Harry going to kiss me? Was I going to kiss him? Why did let that happen? I'm still dating Aaron, even if we're in a rough patch right now. I feel horribly guilty for almost kissing Harry, but another hopeless part of me feels irrevocably alive.

I don't know if Harry gets out of the car after me, I just rush into the lobby, shaking rain from my hair. I jam the button on the elevator with my thumb then decide against it and take the stairs.

I get to my apartment and turn to look at myself in the mirror. My hair is damp from the rain and makeup is smudged around my eyes. My cheeks are flushed a deep red, and my brown eyes are wide.

I check my phone to find one missed call from Aaron.

Only one.

I dial his number quickly.

"Rose, where have you been?" Aaron snaps on the other end.

"I should be asking you," I retort. "You didn't pick me up!"

"I'm on my way, don't worry."

"Are you fucking kidding me? I got off at four. I got a ride home."

"You'd better not have ridden home with that Harry guy."

"I didn't," I lie.

"And even if did, that's not the point. You forgot about me."

"No, I didn't," He says. "I was at work--"

"It's always about work with you, isn't it? Work, work, work. Well, let me tell you something, Aaron. You'd better start giving a shit about me or I'm out!"

I slam down my phone and bury my face in my hands. Today has been utterly disastrous. Aaron forgetting me, Harry almost kissing me in his car. God, I need to stay away from Harry. I really need to stay away from Harry.

I decide to turn in for the night, stripping from my wet clothes and practically falling into bed. I'm exhausted, and fall right to sleep.