[7] Go Buy a Brain

The guise of pure desolation on Bentley's face was astonishingly satisfying. She ditched the puppy-eyed moron in the center of the stairway and progressed onward and to her friends.

She could overhear Asher and Willow noisily affronting one another. The upstairs hall carpet was just as dreary and faded as the one put out of sight in the library. Charlie counted eight doors confined in the drawn out hall. Asher stamped out of the room at the far right end with a scowl. The two traded places, Asher setting out for the stairs while Charlie ensued into the room.

This room, as were all the others, was an egg-shell white. A bunk bed was situated against the left wall, Hayden comforting Gemma on the bottom bunk. Three single beds were uniformly spread out from one another, stretching from the bunk bed to the right wall.

Charlie pitched her bag onto the twin bed that was alongside the right wall. The only additional items in the room were two beige dressers and a bedside table in-between the bunk bed and Willow (which was home to a light blue lamp).

"Finally," Willow groaned at Charlie's arrival. Hurrying for the door, Willow thrusted it shut which, contrariwise, sprung Hayden from her bed. She raised her shirt and detached her homemade scanner from in-between the waistband of her jeans.

"Do you think they'd-"Charlie began but was instantaneously shushed by Willow. Hayden rummaged around the room, skimming every inch of the walls, beds, and dressers in the hunt for a video or audio recording device (also known to Willow as "little bastards").

The girls hung back, anticipating the buzzer to sound. In the end it did and when Hayden investigated the dresser she plucked a bug from the backside of it. She sustained her search, coming up with nothing other than the single device.

"All clear," Hayden declared as she flung the bug onto the floor and crushed it with the heel of her shoe.

"Can we just kill them and leave?" Willow wailed.

"Because killing four FBI agents wouldn't get us in any trouble," Hayden sardonically answered back.

"You know how many people we've killed as a group? I don't think four would make a difference," Willow presented. Hayden mused it over, puckering her lip she peeked at Alora; her expression saying 'she has a point'.

"God the day Willow starts making sense is the day were all dead," Charlie remarked, throwing herself onto the bed.

"We're not killing anyone," Alora voiced in the same tone a mother would use when telling her kids they weren't allowed to have candy for the 100th time.

"Then what do we do? We can't stay here forever?" Hayden reasoned.

"We have to play along and figure out why we're here. We need to earn their trust just enough for them to turn their backs on us. All we need is a minute to find what information they have on us and then we're gone." Alora let of an irritated outbreath.