Chapter Sixteen

My father stopped. The last tuft of grass was at his feet and up ahead was just a vast expanse of sand. 

Sand, the grains of grind-ed down rock over millions and millions of years. School....I'd rather be in it now than doing this. Walking through a desert. Without any true idea as to where I was headed. At least though I was doing this with people I knew. But I wasn't sure if I'd rather do this alone....because it wasn't fair that my mother or my father had to this. It was wrong. 

They hadn't done anything wrong....they didn't deserve this treatment. 

My father stared out into the desert. Nothing but yellow golden rock was showing itself. 

My father sighed, "At least we can finally see the blue sky again", said my father. 

My mother smiled stepping up beside him and took his hand in her fingers. She knew how to comfort him. The rest of us stayed back. 

She looked out into the desert. "We'll be fine, as long as we stick together", she said smiling. My father looked at her. His eyes softened. She had been put through so much and yet she was the one who remained the most optimistic and was determined to see through this. 

From here on it was uncharted territory. We had no clue if there would be things out there that would try and eat  us, most likely still putting my bet that rattle snakes and scorpions still existed out there in the sandy hell hole. But in truth I didn't know what to think of it. 

This desert looked much better than that city we had abandoned. 

My mother kissed my father on the cheek pulling him slightly, "Come on,  let's go", she said quietly. 

Jordan stared. But he didn't roll his eyes. He just stared with a solid face. His jaw clenched and he wanted to hold something. Something in his hands. But he was empty handed. He didn't have a gun. 

"Hey", I said. Jordan looked to his right as I held the gun out to him. 

"Take it", I said. Jordan stared. Was I serious? I pushed it against him forcing him to take it. 

" You want it, take it", I said. I then continued following the rest of the group who had already begun their first several steps into the desert landscape. 

Jordan followed silently behind and he felt his hands hold the gun tightly. He felt safer with it. He felt now like he had a fighting chance. 

While I on the other hand felt safer without it.