Little Game Of Q&A

I faded in and out of consciousness for the next few hours. Voices came and went. I heard my name, but I couldn't respond. All I could think about was the bite on my neck. From a Haagenti, John called it. It was all I could focus on. Pain blotted everything else out. And then finally, it was gone.

When my eyes finally open for good, I'm in another white room. The walls, the floors, the bed, the nightstand, and my gown are all white. The only thing that isn't white is the splotch of red hair at the foot of my bed.

The owner of the hair turns and smiles at me. Her green eyes have a reflective cat-like quality to them.

"Finally, sleeping beauty awakens." she grins.

My mouths opens, only to find it so dry I can't speak. The girl hands me a glass of water and I down it gratefully.

"So how does that work?" she asks. "You being a daughter of Poseidon, how do you even get thirsty?"

I glare at her as she blathers on. I didn't think people that stupid were allowed to live, much less live with Romans.

"Sorry." she smiles apologetically. "I talk a lot."

"Yeah." I mumble stoically. "I got that."

She pushes a strand of red hair from her face. It's a fiery colour and every time she moves, it gives the illusion that her hair is on fire. I immediately decide I don't like this girl.

She offers her hand. "I'm Paige."

I stare at it until she pulls her hand away, the brilliant smile dimming. But she's far from shutting up.

"You're Jess right? Jessica King? Gods everyone is talking about you. You're like... legendary. No one has ever-"

"Where's Jason? Is he alright? And John's fine too right?" I interrupt.

Her forehead creases. "Jason and- oh you mean Avery and Parker? Yeah they're fine."

A weight lifts off my shoulders. My chest doesn't feel as constricted.

"So," I say, my tone conversational. "Who are you?"

"I'm Paige." she repeats.

I roll my eyes. "I meant who are you? Like what are you?"

"Oh. I'm the house wanderer. I don't have a specific job and I don't really train either." she shrugs, a hint of heaviness in her voice.

"Why not?"

She shrugs again. "They think I'm useless. I'm the result of a god and an earth nymph. I'm just... not a nymph."

"I thought nymphs were supposed to be... useful." I say.

She laughs, an ugly barking sound. "Ha! I don't know where you heard that, but they aren't. So I'm automatically useless too."

I wince. "That happy face disappeared quick."

The corners of her mouth stretch up again. "This happy face?"

I prop myself up on my elbows and take a good look at her. Her features are slightly pixie like. Her nose is tiny and so are her ears. She has large unblinking eyes framed with dark, long lashes. Her thin pink lips are pressed tightly together. Her skin is unnaturally pale; it looks almost translucent. Overall, she looks a lot like a porcelain doll. A steely one at that.

"Take a picture why don't cha?" she smirks.

"Of myself? I would but I don't have a camera." I retort.

I get out of bed then. My legs, though shaky, support my weight fairly well. I cross the room to the mirror. An angry red scar replaces the angry red lump. Other then that, I look perfectly intact.