I didn’t like waking up before I had to. If I ever did, I usually tried to turn over and go back to sleep, but I was unfortunately one of those people who could never sleep once they’d woken up. So, when my eyes cracked open at 7am on a Saturday morning I wasn’t exactly ecstatic.

Something was vibrating.

Not just the kind of vibration you feel when you lean your head against the car window, the kind that you hear.

Vvvvv vvvvv vvvvv. Vvvvv vvvvv vvvvv. Vvvvv vvvvv vvvvv.

I sat up, my eyes slits. It was coming from the floor, underneath my bed. I kneeled down on the floor and began fumbling around in the dark. It wasn’t long before I came across something that wasn’t supposed to be there. I pulled it out, feeling it. A small, cardboard box. I leaned across to my nightstand and switched on the lamp, and light flooded my bedroom. I blinked, before focusing on the mystery object once more.

Only it wasn’t a mystery anymore. The Apple logo was printed across the box, along with iPhone 5. My eyes widened, and I opened it.

It had already been opened, but the phone sat inside, vibrating furiously. The Caller ID showed a selfie of Alex, and if I wasn’t the polar opposite of a morning person I would have laughed. Instead, I held it to my ear.

“Hello?” I said, my voice croaky.

“Finley?” I could tell he was smiling.

“Alex?”

My mind was too sleepy to comprehend what was happening. Where did the device come from? Why was Alex calling me on it?

Alex’s laughed crackled through the speaker. “Hey! So how do you like your present?”

“I’m disappointed that it’s not a lie-in” I replied grumpily. He laughed again, while I thought about how much iPhones cost. I bit my lip. “You didn’t have to, Alex.”

“Of course I did!” He said, “I needed some way to contact, you didn’t I? But I mean, I can change if you want. I kept the receipt, we could bring it back and-”

“No!” I cut him off, “No, I love it. I’m just... you know, they’re pretty expensive.”

“Oh!” Alex said in relief. “That’s what you’re worried about? Forget about the cost, Finley, it’s no big deal.”

“It is to me” I frowned.

“Aren’t I allowed to treat my soon-to-be adopted daughter?”

I hesitated. The thought of Alex and I being an actual family was still pretty alien to me.

“Finley? You still there?”

“Yeah” I said wearily, “I’m here.”

“And you’re okay?”

I nodded, but remembered that he couldn’t see me. “Fine. Just tired.”

“Finley.”

“Alex?”

Alex sighed.

“I am tired” I insisted, “It’s seven a.m., you know.”

“I know” He said cheekily, “I figured I’d give you an early morning wake up call.”

“But it’s Saturday” I complained, “You better not try any of this shit after you adopt me.”

I could almost see him smiling, a proud grin beaming off his face.

“No promises” He replied.

“So how’s LA?” I asked.

“I only just arrived,” He said,” Rian picked me up from the airport about an hour ago. The house is really nice, Finley, I can’t wait for you to see it.”

I smiled. “What’s it like?”

“It’s right beside the beach. Literally. There’s a few steps at the end of the garden that take you right down to the sand.”

“Really? That sounds amazing!”

“Yeah, it is,” Alex said, “The house itself is nice... big, with a balcony looking out on the sea. You’ll have your own bedroom and stuff- Hold on a sec, Finley.”

“Alex?” I said, but he was already gone. I could hear mumbling on the other end, and so I waited patiently.

Suddenly, there was a yell, some strange noises and a shuffling sound. I could hear thumping feet and heavy breathing.

“Hello?”

I frowned, “...You’re not Alex...”

The mysterious voice on the other end giggled. “Nope,” He said, popping the ‘p’. “But I know who you are.”

I opened my mouth to reply when another yell came through my phone. “Jack! Give me my fucking cell back!”

Jack, I assumed, replied with, “No! I’m talking to Finley!”, and then he began to talk to me again, “So anyway. As I was saying before I was so rudely interrupted, you would be Finley, right?”

“That’s me,” I replied, “And I’m guessing you’re-”

“Uncle Jack,” He said gleefully.

“Stop being such a creep!” Alex shouted from the distance.

“Never! I’m sorry I haven’t talked to you before Finley, but it’s Lexy’s fault really. He’s been hogging you this whole time and no one else has got to meet you yet, even though we’re all really excited!”

“Oh... Well I apologise for him.”

“It’s okay, Finley. It’s not your fault Alex is such a dick.”

“Jack! Get out of the fucking closet and give me my phone back!”

“No!”

There was a bang, some scuffling, and then Alex was back again. “Sorry about that,” He said sheepishly, “Jack’s not always that weird. I mean, most of the time, but not always.”

I laughed. “It’s fine. I think Jack sounds nice; I like him.”

“Yeah, well that makes one of us.”

A/N- So I'm a little late, but I hope you'll all forgive me. Let me now if you see any mistakes because I didn't edit this quite as well as I should have (oops). That pretty picture is done by backseatgatorade, I don't know how she does it!