Chapter 59 - Picking up the Pieces

Start from the beginning

"I am one hundred percent sure" Ash stood up after replying. "I will head out with Parker to grab everything"

"Wait" Serena stopped Ash. "Can we have a minute alone?" She spoke to everyone else, sitting up on her bed. 

"We will respect your privacy" Professor Oak gestured to the other two and everyone left.

"Is he really going to help?" Serena said once everyone had left.

"He is definitely being honest, have you not noticed the sudden change in his personality?" Ash replied like it was a simple, known answer.

"Have you heard of acting? He could be taking us for a ride and then ejecting us at the last minute" Serena wasn't convinced.

"Serena. I don't care if he is acting or not. I am doing this for you so I will take every and any risk" Ash knelt down beside Serena, smiling at her. 

She slowly smiled back and nodded.

"I know" She whispered back, before kissing him on the cheek.

"I will be back before you know it" Ash hopped onto his feet, Pikachu jumped onto his shoulder and they headed off.

"Ash?" Serena stopped him a second time.

"Hmm?" Ash didn't turn, he just awkwardly looked back.

"I love you" Serena's words made Ash smile.

"I love you too, Serena" Ash felt that was the best reply and then he stepped out of the room and down the corridor.

"You ready?" Parker asked, getting up from his seat.

"I have been ready for a few minutes" Ash nodded, looking at Pikachu, who didn't even gaze up at him. Pikachu was being on guard for Ash, just in case. Ash patted Pikachu's head to show his appreciation in quiet. 

"Lets make our way back to the cave, those machines are in the room nearby, so we can grab them and then fish out the sample" Parker went over the plan.

"Actually, before we go, can I have a few moments to rest up?" Ash rubbed his eyes and looked back at Parker, who just tutted.

"Fifteen minutes, this is your girlfriend we are helping here" Parker didn't need to remind Ash, he was just really tired.

Ash dozed off instantly, sitting under a tree to keep the sun out of his eyes, which was now beating heavily on everyone that was in the sunlight. Ash found it hard to sleep with trucks rolling down the main path every so often, with materials to fix things. Parker found it almost shocking that he didn't have a target painted on his back.

Five minutes past, then ten and finally fifteen.

Parker checked the time and then got up, before shaking Ash.

"It's been fifteen, lets get moving" Parker didn't even wait for Ash as he rubbed his eyes and shook his head, stretching as he rose to his feet.

"Hey, wait up" Ash yawned into his hand, Pikachu jumping on his shoulder as they followed Parker. 

Both continued on their way, to the cave. Once they get their, Parker instantly moved around, due to him having a good idea of where everything would be.

"I am happy to see it is in good shape" Parker was pleased as he pulled out a box of tools. "The sample should be in one of these boxes, I will take down the machines and you look for it"

"Okay" Ash replied. "Lets do it Pikachu"

"Pika!" Pikachu buried his head into a box instantly and began to search.

Ash spent the whole time searching, for anything that seemed remotely like some sort of code. He turned boxes upside down, all while Parker continued to effortlessly dismantle the machine. 

Ash had a sudden idea and he walked over to the big computer and turned it on. 

The screen flashed on and a password prompt appeared.

"Damn" Ash sighed and frowned. "What could the password be?"

Parker came walking in with a huge bag, full of the machine parts.

"The password is just shadow, lower case" Parker sat down next to Ash. "Why, what are you doing?"

"You said the code is on a computer, so can't I just find the whole thing here?" Ash looked at Parker, who was looking back at Ash like he was a genius.

"I never thought of that...our boss always kept everything in his folders" Parker helped Ash search. They spent a few minutes on the computer, before finally fishing out some codes.

"I will look over the codes for a moment, just sit back and hold on a sec" with this, Parker focused, scanning over each word in the codes he noticed. 

"Found it?" Ash asked, looking at the code with absolutely no clue as to what it means. 

"Yes, I just need to download it to my computer chip and then we can go" Parker placed the chip in the side of the computer and a download bar appeared on the screen.

"Where do you think you will be going?" The Boss's voice rang out from the entrance. 

Ash and Parker both slowly turned around, to see the whole of Team Shadow blocking the door.

"How-" Parker began, but The Boss raised his hand.

"We are one with the shadows, or have you forgotten after betraying us so heavily?" He huffed, sneering at Parker through the robes that concealed his face.

"You tricked me a long time ago and now, I intend to help Ash and if that means stopping you, then I will do it" Parker stood up from the chair, Ash following him.

"This cave will become your prison after I destroy you both. Prepare for a battle you most certainly will never forget" The Boss grinned through his robe and grabbed onto two pokeballs, crossing his arms together as he threw them. 

Both Pokemon appeared and Ash and Parker prepared themselves for one final battle.

Two unlikely allies, one fighting his former team after being shown the truth and the other fighting for Serena, the girl he loved. Everything was down to this final fight. 

"Ash, we don't even need to win" Parker signalled Umbreon to step up and Pikachu jumped off of Ash's shoulder.

"Huh? What?" Ash looked confused, turning to Parker.

Parker whispered to Ash, making sure the others didn't hear before the battle commenced. 

"All we do is hold out until the download finishes, then just follow me lead, okay?" Parker told Ash the plan and he nodded. "Make sure you have Charizard's pokeball in your pocket ready, we will need him"

Ash made sure he was ready, The Boss surprisingly letting them prepare.

"Are you ready to be destroyed?" The Boss gestured to his two Pokemon. He was using the twins mega Absol's, both of them stood side by side, preparing to fight, their purple eyes staring hard at their opponents. 

"Ready as I'll ever be" Parker smirked at The Boss, making him feel pissed.

"Bring it on!" Ash fist pumped enthusiastically, preparing to battle.

Then, the final fight commenced.

Everything depended on Parker's plan.

All they had to do was make it out and then get to the lab safely, to ensure that Serena could be saved once and for all.

For Ash.

For his friends.

For a future with Serena in it.