Chapter 54 - Gaining Ground

Ash and Diantha made their way from the base and continued through the forest, doubling back to where the original battle occurred. By now, the constant change in weather had stopped, the sun sticking itself high in the sky, the white clouds rolling through, a contrast in the constant rain that had been occurring for a while. 

Since the battle began in the field, only one day had passed, with no one getting little or any sleep, but no sign of tiredness was on Ash's face, he was still fully focused and ready for anything. They both headed through a clearing onto the field, the destruction still visible, with craters all over the place and the standalone building in half, with debris filling the hole that was once that part of the building.

"Wait" Diantha suddenly raised her hand and Ash jumped back, his heart racing in anticipation, wondering why she stopped him so suddenly. "Do you see over there?"

Ash stepped forward to catch her line of sight and then followed it, noticing Team Shadow had regrouped in the middle of the field, but there was no sign of any of his friends. 

"What should we do?" Ash asked Diantha, who rubbed her chin for a moment to think.

"How good do they battle?" she decided to ask.

"They do whatever they can to win and they all have mega-evolving Pokemon, plenty of strong choices" Ash replied, wondering if there was anything else to cover.

"Ok, so it won't be easy with just the two of us if we get into a battle" Diantha sounded sure and even Ash knew that had almost no chance of getting through a battle, even if he did try to bring out all of his Pokemon. 

"Let me ask again, what should we do?" Ash repeated. 

"I'll stay here and keep watch on these guys" Diantha turned to Ash at this moment. "I feel like the trouble here has moved over to Pallet Town and headed through the main city, past the stadiums. I want you to go and check those areas"

Ash instantly jolted up, he didn't realize he was on his feet and sprinting off. 

"Ash?!" Diantha almost shouted as he pushed himself on with all of his strength and power. 

"Please be okay" Ash whispered to himself. Even Pikachu, who had been quiet, was struggling to keep up. Since it had been a whole day or so since the altercation began, Pikachu had already been unconscious a few times and was now rested and raring to go, he continued to push himself on too. 

Ash stopped just by the stadiums first, checking them out. Everything was quiet, there was no one. Paper blew in the wind and flew away into the sky. The lack of people made Ash feel uneasy and so did the lack of ship in the sky, since it had completely disappeared.

"Hopefully we can sort all of this mess out" Ash gritted his teeth in anger and span on his heel, heading out of the city. He continued to run, his chest on fire and his feet burning up. Ash stumbled as he powered through the forest, almost falling. He took two quick steps and got back onto his feet, continuing his pace. 

"Pika!" Pikachu exclaimed in warning, making Ash skid and turn to face his friend. 

"What is it?" Ash wondered and then he saw electricity spark from Pikachu's cheeks. "Bonnie?"

"Pika Pi!" Pikachu smiled and ran off after the signal Deddene had sent, Ash following just behind him. 

They continued to make their way towards Serena's lodge, until they finally came to the path and crashed through the front door. 

"Bonnie?!" Ash shouted, looking around.

"Ash?" her voice came, unchanged. Ash let out a sigh of relief and smiled as she stepped out through the doorway. "Where is Serena and Clemont? What has been going on? Why haven't I seen anyone in almost two days?"