Chapter 14

Josh

I walked home that day, whistling and a smile on my face.

"What's with him." Nick asked, pointing to me.

"The same thing that's with him." Brandon answered, gesturing towards Lucas.

"Nothing's wrong with me," I shrugged, "Just I met a girl."

"And Mackenzie said that she might consider going on a date with me." Lucas squealed.

I rolled my eyes. "Well Chloe was cool-"

"Wait," Brandon interjected, "How did you find her? I thought you didn't have her number."

"I don't," I answered, "Turns out she works at a record shop. I ran into her and talked for a bit."

"What do you mean by 'talked'?" Nick smirked, sitting down in a chair.

"I mean we talked. Nothing else." I shrugged.

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

-

A week later, I still hadn't found Chloe. Lucas had won over Mackenzie, and was taking her on a date that night.

"It was not a date," She confirmed when Lucas took her back to the room that night, "It was simply two friends hanging out."

"And making out." Brandon muttered under his breath.

Mackenzie whipped her head over to him. "What was that?"

Brandon paled. "N-nothing."

Mackenzie was scary. She may look like a small, delicate little thing, but within the short week that I've known her, she has made it clear that she is not to be messed with.

"Yes," Lucas first bumped the air, "I'm a friend now!"

Nick rolled his eyes. "The friend zone is not something to cheer about, buddy."

"Who cares? She acknowledges my existance now. That's a plus."

He pulled Mackenzie down on the spot next to him on the couch. "And she's smart, what more could a guy ask for?"

He placed a sloppy wet kiss on her cheek, making her pull away.

"Dude, we're just friends." Mackenzie stated.

I rolled my eyes. "Yup. Keep telling yourself that, Kenz."

"Don't call her hat." Lucas snapped, pulling Mackenzie closer to him, "That's my nickname for her."

Mackenzie blushed. "Stop it."

"Hey," Lucas smiled, "I made her blush! That's an accomplishment."

She smiled. "Maybe, Lucas."

"Hey, that's the first time I've ever seen you smile." I commented, making her scowl.

"Shut up."

"Okay."

Looking her straight in the eyes, I gathered up the confidence to say, "Um...could you possibly by any chance...give Chloe my number?"