"I don't know why this isn't working...the spell is correct, and I practiced and everything, why isn't this working?" Panic was etched on Rachel's normally calm face.

"Is it—it is because of our weapons' special abilities? Like Katherine's sword, she told me once that the metal or whatever was special and a wound, if created right, would be fatal," said Ashley, remembering something. Indigo's eyes widened.

"Oh my gosh. Yes. That's the case with my sword," she breathed.

"Mine too!" exclaimed Jason.

"Aaron, don't die on us!" Lucian, Aaron's best buddy, crouched next to him and said anxiously.

"There is one way that might work," said Rachel, blowing a strand of her hair out of her face. "If we collect these several herbs, ground them into a paste, and then apply them it would stop the bleeding."

"That'll take too long," said Jason gravely. "Is there nothing you can do right now?" We all looked at Rachel hopefully. She looked back at us with pain-filled eyes.

"I'm going to keep trying, but—I'm sorry guys—" Her voice broke. "I'm just not good enough."

Indigo was frozen in place. Lucian and Jason looked at each other, agonized. A buzz filled my head, making everything swim. No. This was not happening. This is not real. But Aaron's pale face and Indigo's stunned expression and the crimson blood staining Aaron's clothes made it impossible to imagine it otherwise.

Aaron saved me. He took that stab so that I would be safe. And now he would pay with his life. No. No, no, no. He doesn't deserve this.

Rachel sat back, tears filling her eyes. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I'm sorry." Aaron looked at her and managed a weak smile. "It's okay. Don't feel bad." He looked at me and attempted to grin.

"Kath, don't look so glum."

"This is all my fault," I said. "All my fault."

"Kath..."

Before I knew what I was doing I had placed my good hand on his wound. "Heal," I whispered, like a prayer. "Heal. Please."

No one stopped me. It was as if time had frozen. It was my last, desperate attempt to save Aaron, just as he had saved me. I knew that it wouldn't work. But I wanted to try. I didn't want to live the rest of my days knowing that I had done nothing to help in Aaron's last moments. I was guilt-ridden enough.

Ashley gasped. Indigo's eyes widened. "Katherine, what—what are you doing—"

"Huh?" I looked down at my hand and nearly had a heart attack. Wisps of blue light were swirling from my hand to Aaron's wound, circling and dancing. Like magic. I watched, stunned.

"Healing magic," Rachel breathed. "Look, the wound is healing!" Sure enough, the gash was slowly closing. I didn't know I had the healing magic in me. But anyhow, I have to save Aaron. Heal, I thought mentally. I imagined the magic within me and willed it to travel to Aaron, to heal him.

The magic pulsed stronger. The light intensified as more surged from my hand. I dared not move, fearing that one wrong move and it will be all gone. As everyone watched in amazement, the wisps swirled faster and faster, circling Aaron's upper body and targeting the gash.

Aaron's face didn't look so deathly pale anymore. The wound was nearly closed, leaving only a faint scar behind. The light began to fade. I willed more to come. But instead of a surge of power, I felt a wave of fatigue. It was the same as when Ashley moved Lucian and Jason across the Great Hall. The magic was impressive, but it was draining me.

No. I can't stop. I have to save Aaron. That one thought kept me going. I summoned all the power I had from every dark corner inside of me and willed them to travel down my arm. My vision swam. Aaron's face blurred.

"It's draining her! Guys, it's going to kill her!" came a voice from far away. Rachel, I thought dimly. What was it she was saying?

"Kath! Let go! He's okay now!" Many hands grabbed my wrist and tried to pry me off. I shook them all off, not moving my hand from Aaron's ribs. In my blurry sight, I saw that the magic was fading. More, I thought. All of it. Give them all to Aaron. As if obeying my last command, I felt a sudden surge of power travel through me. The blue light intensified, even more vivid than before.

"No! Kath, you have to let go!"

"Kath! Listen to us!"

"Katherine, please!"

I ignored all of the voices, instead concentrating on the magic pouring from my hand. The voices faded. Soon it was just the magic, Aaron, and me. I saw his face, filled with anguish. He wasn't pale anymore. "Katherine, I'm okay now, just let go," he begged.

I shook my head. "You're not," I managed to get out. "Not completely."

"I don't care; if you don't let go the magic is going to kill you!" Aaron's brown eyes filled with fear and torment. He tried to pull my hand away.

"That's alright," I smiled weakly. "As long as you're okay." The magic had wrapped around the two of us like a blue cocoon, separating us from the rest of the world. I sent one last pulse of magic through; it was the last of what I had. As the magic exited, I felt a wave of extreme weakness. The pain in my broken ankle and arm flared up, more than before. In fact, I hurt all over, feeling like someone had ripped me apart and then put me through a grinder.

The magic suddenly convulsed and exploded, blasting us apart. As darkness took over, I saw myself falling through the air, blue sparks still trailing from my fingertips.

A/N: True to my word, I updated this week! Now you guys won't have to suffer so much from that cliffhanger from the last chapter. :D So I'm thinking of killing off a character...who should it be??? Hm? Any suggestions?...................................................................................................

Nah JKJK I won't do that to you guys. Or will I? Will Katherine survive? Or will she die saving the person she maybe likes? Mmmmm well I guess you guys will find out next week! Or next next week, depending on how much homework I have.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and share! Love you all :-D