Chapter 9

(Erik's POV)

I looked up from Lotte in my arms to Sarah, "Sarah, I'm not sure about this. Giovanni doesn't even want to see me mostly likely."

"Erik, Father isn't the sort to hold grudges for years. I'm sure he'll forgive you." Sarah said as we walked up the path to Father's house.

"I don't think he will." I whispered.

She just kissed my cheek and knocked on the door. I hummed softly to Lotte while I waited for Giovanni to open the door.

Sarah cooed to Lotte and then the door opened. She turned and smiled to Giovanni. "Good evening." She said cheerfully. I looked down and away from him.

Giovanni embraced her. "Good evening! Come on in!" He said cheerfully as he stepped out of our way to let us inside. We walked inside and I sat down in a chair and held Lotte in my lap, gently brushing her hair from her eyes.

Giovanni looked down at Mike who was staring up at him. "Well, you have grown a good deal since I last saw you." Mike grinned up at him.

Mike laughed and hugged him. "I've missed you, Grandpa."

"And, I missed you." He released Mike and then turned to Erik and Lotte. After giving Erik a kind smile, he scooped up Lotte and grinned. "So, this is my little granddaughter?"

I nodded softly. "Yes, sir."

"She looks just like Sarah." Giovanni said and Sara blushed slightly. "With your eyes, Erik."

I nodded again. "Yes, she does."

Sarah looked down at Mike and noticed he was rubbing his eyes. "I think it's bed time for you, young man." She said as she picked him up and balanced him on her hip. Giovanni nodded and showed us the bedroom we'd be sleeping in, complete with two cribs for Lotte and Mike.

I followed them in and picked Mike up, setting in down on the bed. I covered him up and kissed his forehead.

Sarah took Lotte from Giovanni and said, "And, its feeding time for her. You two occupy yourselves until we're finished." I nodded and walked back into the living room and sat down. Giovanni followed him out.

"I suppose you've hear of the trip we are planning." I said as I looked down at my lap.

He sat down beside me and nodded. "Yes, I have. Sarah wrote me and told me that's why you were visiting. To see me one more time before you left Europe."

I nodded. "Yes, I hope it wasn't an inconvenience to you, Giovanni."

"Father." He corrected. "It's never an inconvenience for me to see my son, daughter-in-law, and grandchildren."

I looked up at him. "You still wish for me to call you that?" I asked softly. "Even after the way I spoke to you so long ago?"

"You're still my son." He said. "I know you regret your actions. I can't say I'm pleased with how you handled the situation but I forgive you for what you said."

"I'm so sorry for everything." I whispered. "I wish I could turn back the hands of time."

Father hugged me. "I know you do. We have all wished that same thing many times in our lives. But, we can't do it."

I nodded and hugged him back. "I've missed you so much, Father."

"I missed you too, son." He said. I smiled and reached to remove my mask, it was rubbing against my skin, but I stopped. It wasn't the same the last time he saw it.

"You can take it off if you want." He said.

"It isn't the same as you remember." I said as I looked at him.