Chapter 3

(Erik's POV)

I came to after some time and looked around. "Why am I on the roof of my opera house?" I asked and tried to sit up, but hissed in pain. "And why does my head hurt?"

Sarah took my hand in hers and sighed a deep breath of relief that I was awake. "We came up here for lunch. I..." She closed her eyes. "I had to hit and knock you unconscious."

"Why would my wife do that to me?" I then looked down at her stomach. "Where is the thing?" I asked.

"Erik, what do you remember?" She asked.

"I remember being in my music room." I said as I looked at her. "Father came and visited me."

"Anything after that?" She asked.

I shook my head. "No."

"Perhaps that is for the better." She said.

I didn't understand what she meant, but I didn't question it. "Did you lose it?" I asked as I pointed to her stomach.

She shook her head and pointed over at our sleeping child. "No, he's sleeping over there."

I gasped and looked at her. "I'm losing my mind." I whispered softly.

"No, you're not!" She said as she took my hand in hers. "Would you like me to you what happened?" He asked.

"No." I said softly.

"Alright." She said. I nodded and stood up.

She stood up as well and ran a hand over her wrists, flinching as she did so.

I noticed her flinch and gasped as I saw all the marks. "What happened? Who did this?"

She looked down for a moment. "Um..." She looked up at me. "You did." She whispered.

"W-What?" I asked softly. "I would never hurt you."

She took my hand and placed it on her wrist, my fingers matching the bruises perfectly.

I gasped again and pulled away. "Erik doesn't remember hurting Sarah." I said. "Erik is sorry. Erik is sorry."

"It's alright." She whispered. "You didn't mean too. You weren't thinking. The Shah's people hurt you mentally. You didn't know what you were doing."

"The Shah?" I asked. "I thought we ran from him."

"We did. But, they found you again and hurt you very much." She said softly.

"Oh." I whispered with a nod. "I don't remember any of it."

"I know. It happened after you left us." She said as she hugged me.

I wrapped my arms around her. "What do you mean?"

"A week after Mike's birth, you walked out on us one night, leaving a note saying that I needed to find a better husband. You were gone for two years." She said as she kissed my jaw.

I flinched back and then mumbled softly. "Coney Island."

"You remember?" She asked.

"I built a theme park there." I whispered.

"You did." Sarah said with a smile.

"That's all I remember though." I told her.

"That is good." She said as she ran her hand through the my hair. I made a small face. "That feels different."

"It's a wig." She said.

I looked down at her. "Sunshine, I don't wear wigs."

She sighed and untied my mask, setting it aside. Then, she removed the wig and showed it to me. "I'm sorry." She whispered as she set it aside and hugged me.