The Encounter

"I thought you left already?"

I smiled and looked over to Nancy who had just put down her small tub and started wiping down the table. "I'm a workaholic, can't help it," I said sarcastically as she laughed.

"Well, you should head on home. You remember those people I had told you about?" Nancy said as she put all the dirty dishes into her tub.

I nodded. Nancy had told me about this group of men. Mafia, to be her exact words. These men owned this business and many others around the city. She had said that they would come late into the night after closing hours to check up on things with our boss.

She clearly remembers how frightening they were with their stone cold faces and scars across them also. Nancy said they were one of the reasons why she hadn't quit yet. She was afraid they'll kill her if she does.

"They'll be coming tonight and I don't need you to be around when they're here. With your looks, they might just kidnap your ass," Nancy said as she walked away.

I quickly wiped my table to catch up with her. "Seriously, Nancy. I don't even look that great. I'm like...below average."

She stopped and gave me a "are you serious with me" look. "Girl, you are smoking hot! Why can't you see that?"

"Well for one, I don't have breasts like Gretchen and a round plushable butt like my sister's friend. I have big thighs that could suffocate an elephant and I'm short!"

Nancy rolled her eyes. "You're fucking five feet four. That's tall for an average chick." She continued her way to the kitchen. "And forget about the breasts and ass, Scarlett. You having an hourglass body makes all that worth it. Plus! Look at you! Your skin is so white that everyone knows that you rarely go out. I remember back in the days when everyone wanted to have a body like yours and those that did, whew! Girl, tou would have boys swooning over you!"

I scowled at her. "What does that have to do with anything?"

We both put our dishes in the sink and rinsed out our tub and cloth. "It means, you're a good girl who keeps to herself and probably stays home all day reading those literature porn books."

I slapped Nancy on the shoulder as she laughed. "Just because you do, doesn't mean I do also, Nancy."

"Alright ladies!" Jeremy clapped his hands together as everyone paid attention to him. "You know the drill. Clean and sweep. I don't want to see a spec of dust and you!" Jeremy pointed to me as all eyes fell on me. "Get the fuck outta here. I don't need you to be kidnapped on my watch."

I dropped my jaws in shock as Nancy nudged me. "See! I told you!"

I gave Nancy a glare then turned to Jeremy. "But Jer-"

He raised his hand to stop me. "No, Scarlett. You're too precious to lose. Why do you think this diner had been booming lately ever since you showed up?"

"Because I'm lucky?" I said as I looked to all of them.

"Because of your looks, sweetheart," they all said in unison making me glare in defeat.

"Move it young lady," Nancy said as she pushed me towards the changing rooms.

I pouted and stripped off my apron. "Fine."