The Obsidian Arrow: Chapter 15

Start from the beginning

            The three stood silent awaiting Anaela’s return. Each was still dumbfounded by the events that occurred. It didn’t take long, but mere minutes it seemed, for Anaela to come back into the room followed by six elf maidens. Each of the elven women wore white dresses with veils covering their faces. Vil’ek gently handed Elsargast’s body over to the maidens and with three standing on each side they effortlessly carried him out of the room. The only difference seen between the maidens was the various hair colors as they walked out of the room.

            “My lord…” Searon broke the silence.

            “Right… we must prepare the men; Karceoles… how far out are they?” Vil’ek asked.

            “They will arrive after nightfall.”

            “Then we will prepare for Elsargast’s funeral at dusk. Let everyone know to be suited up and ready for battle. I must prepare the elves, excuse me.” Vil’ek said.

            He turned around causing his violet cape fabric to ripple in the air as he walked out of the room and left it empty to Karceoles and Searon.

Vil’ek stood looking in a mirror of glass at his dirty armor with a grim expression on his face. His fist clenched and drained the washcloth of water before he streaked it across his armor. He must look presentable as a leader and blood and dirt on his armor certainly wouldn’t do. The memory of his king still haunted him. He failed to protect his king. It was his job for so many years to be there for his king, and the one time that he had needed it… he failed him. He fell weak to Arria’s tricks, and he should have known better. He had fallen for her tricks before, he tales of love between them. Even though she was an elf back then, he still didn’t know if any of it was truth.

            He threw the cloth in the sink when he was done and stared back into the mirror. His armor sparkled… yet his face still clouded with gloom. His fist clenched and shattered the glass destroying the reflection of him. Turning, he walked out of the door and decided to get the elves prepared. Nothing could prepare them for the funeral that was about to take place.

            Standing before him was every elf in the city and they quietly talked amongst themselves. They were outside the palace on the ground of the great tree. Anaela stood there and nodded to him which meant that everybody was accounted for. He nodded back to her acknowledging her that he understood and also gratitude for her assistance.

            “Today is a grave day everyone. As some of you have heard… the king is no more. There will not be time to appoint a new one and so I am taking charge. His funeral will be at dusk… and everyone will be there for it… you will be here and you will be dressed for battle. The enemy arrives after nightfall, in case the worst, we shall give our king a proper funeral before they arrive, but we must be ready when they come,” Vil’ek sighed. “Everybody is dismissed.”

            He stood there alone with Anaela watching him as he looked up to the sun and welcomed the heat radiating off of it. He knew that tomorrow the new sun would be red from bloodshed and he only hoped that they would all be there to see it.

            Candles were lit down a line of elves on two sides creating a long pathway to walk in-between. On each side of the lines were crowds of people elf and human alike. They stood in the center of the sparring field letting it glow in the translucent setting sun. The entire area was filled with thousands of elves and humans alike. Vil’ek observed from on top the small hill in the center of the field.