The Man in the Fog

The run-down Jeep Cherokee was rummaging through the cold of the night, occasionally making a clunking noise when Glennis, Ashleigh Prestons' mother, pushed down on the break.

Ashleigh pressed her face against the cool glass.  Her breath blanketed the window with fog, and blocked her savage surroundings.  She turned her head  around to look at her sleeping sister; her mouth hung open and the sound of light snoring filled her ears.  She chuckled to herself.

    Ashleigh sighed.  "Are we there yet?"  Even though she had already known the answer, she still wanted to ask the obvious question.

    "No."  Came the response.  "About an hour or so left."  She cleared her throat, and turned the wheel left.  "I''m going to get a soda. Do you need to use the bathroom?"

    She shook her head.  "No... I can wait."

    As the car weaved into a parking spot, her mother unbuckled the seat belt and opened the door.  "I'll be right back," she told Ashleigh.  "Lock the doors."  Ashleigh nodded.  Then Ms. Preston slammed it shut.

    Stretching her hand to the small black button, she pushed it down, hearing a satisfying click.  It was a bit creepy at night for her; she much rather preferred daytime. 

      She extended her legs, and discovered they were incredibly sore from sitting down all day.

    The sixteen hour drive from Florida to Ohio had not been pleasant.  No electronics, no TV.  And it had seemed her eyes were not working properly from following the trees passing outside all day long.  Her mother had told her that flying would cost too much, so they were stuck with a small run-down Jeep for hours.

    A knock at the window made her jump.  She whirled her head around, expecting to see her mother standing impatiently with her arms crossed, but instead, she saw no one.  Ashleigh frowned, and examined her sister in the back seat. 

    Had it been her?

    But as she saw Jessie still in the same position as she had been in a minute ago, she knew it could not have been her.  Shivers traveled up her spine, and she hugged her arms uncomfortably.  What was out there?

     She inhaled deeply.  Don't be silly, she scolded herself.  It was probably just the wind.

    But once she observed the outside, she discovered there was no wind.  Licking her lips, she clamped her eyes shut and grounded her teeth; an annoying habit that proved she was stressed, and also proved she was too stressed to ever break it.   

    Is this my imagination?

    Abruptly, the car made a clicking sound, as if someone had unlocked it.  But Ashleigh had not touched the small button.  She whimpered as she looked out her window.  A man was standing just a few yards away from her, his identity covered by the husky fog.

    She could make out only a hat on top of his head, and a broad coat masking his broad shoulders.  He stood there, doing nothing for the several minutes she was watching him.  Then suddenly, the side door opened.

    Ashleigh let out a shriek, but instead of the man crawling in her mother's seat Glennis slid in.  A wave of relief overwhelmed her.

    "Ashleigh!"  Ms. Preston gasped.  "I thought I told you to lock the doors!"

    Her stomach churned, and she squirmed in her leather seat uncomfortably.  "I did,"  she gulped.  She turned her head to where the man was still standing.  "What's that man doing there?"  she outstretched her hand.