Chapter 28

"I'm capable of tackling the responsibilities of the CFO as well, you know." I tell Hannah. She opens her mouth to say something, then shuts it quickly. She stays silent, as I know what she's thinking, because it's the same thing I'm thinking: I can't.

I do need help. She doesn't know it, but I'm pregnant. And no matter what I decide, I need someone reliable, trustworthy and compassionate to handle the finances for the company. Running the damn thing is already too much, and after this summer's events, Remlor could do with less scandal and drama. We need more stability.

It's times like these where I realize that I need my dad. We all need my dad.

"Have you asked Zach?" Hannah asks me. And although she didn't specify on what I'm asking, I already know. We're all like a family here, and we know what everyone's thinking before they think it. I sit next to her and run a hand through my hair.

"No I haven't asked him. There are other things going on right now that stopped me from talking to him about it." When is the right time to ask Zach to quit his job and be the CFO at Remlor? I don't even know what's going to happen to our relationship.

"A-Are you guys in a fight?" She asks me. I sigh, I don't really want my HR staff to know that exactly. Hannah senses my hesitation and quickly stands up.

"I'm going to keep interviewing candidates. I will refer the best ones to you." She says hastily.

"Fine." She nods and walks out the door.

Deb calls through the glass door, "I have Stanford University on line 3, should I take a message?"

"No, transfer me." I scurry over to my desk and pick up the phone. I've been waiting for this call.

"Yes, Hi, this is Emma Rembrandt."

***

Later that day, I'm still at the office. Mostly everyone is gone, but I'm here in some comfy slippers looking at details for my project and eating donuts.

There's no point in going home to an empty house. Zach isn't talking to me. Maia isn't here. My mom's not here.

I'm creating an application for students who want to volunteer on my project. Since I got that grant from Stanford to continue community service, I have more support than just my own assets. Which is good. I am creating my own foundation, separate from Remlor or my parents or even Zach.

I haven't had something truly on my own in a long time. Not even sesame seed here is just mine. He or she is Zach's as well.

I keep thinking about what he said. He said I wanted to terminate the pregnancy. He said I was trying to make it seem like his idea. So many thoughts and emotions were running through me, and I've been trying to remember if that was one of them.

Lor had to get back to her happy family days ago. What happened that destined Zach and I to this? We can't even be in the same room together. It's this place. It's cursed or something. The ghosts of our past won't leave us alone, but we have new ones coming.

I take my charm bracelet off. It just makes me sad now.

***

I slip on the semi stretchy floor length dress. I'm about three weeks from completing my first trimester, and it's surreal. I've been calling it sesame seed this whole time, but it's gotten a lot bigger since then. That being said, I can't really fit into some things as well as before. I had to purchase another gown in a larger size because when you're invited to a charity gala, you can't exactly say no. Especially when you need to have people talking about your charity in the works