The Manor; chapter 5

Start from the beginning

Finally, getting caught up with trying to sleep, Amber gave one last kick to the bed sheets, sat up, and shifted so her feet were hanging off the edge of the bed. She looked down at the carpet, a deep gold color and still thick and soft under her felt. She dug her toes in, reveling for a moment in how good the carpet felt. It reminded her of the carpet at home. Except that carpet was a darker tan color instead of this golden floor. For the first time since she'd gotten there, Amber really looked around at the room.

The walls had been painted a calming, light blue with the closet and entrance doors painted darker blue as well as one of the walls. The bed had a dark blue duvet with crisp, white sheets. Creating a soft, comforting look were white eyelet curtains that swayed in the breeze coming in through an open window. On the far side of the room was a white desk and right next to the bed a white bedside table. Decorating both were bottles of white sand and shells and the jars with vanilla scent. It was simple, but elegant making Amber feel more at home.

Back in Manhattan her mother, as an interior decorator, had been good at keeping their house filled with an elegant, peaceful ambience. She had always been changing the mansion, redecorating with the latest styles of everything. Amber had grown accustomed to the simple style and after her father's death, then Hunter's, she had found that she was calmed by the familiar feel of her mother's style.

"Amber?" a soft voice called out.

"Come in," she answered. A blonde head looked in with a shy smile. Jade, Amber remembered her name was. She looked exactly like her sister, but the smile was different, the way she held herself less confident. She walked all the way in, holding a plate of cookies.

"Would you like one?" Amber asked. "I just made them, so they're still warm." Amber could smell the warm cookies from across the room. She smiled back at the other girl.

"Sure." Jade walked over to her and held out the cookies.

"Are you okay?" she asked Amber when she got closer. Amber's smile faltered.

"I will be if you give me one of those cookies." Jade laughed and sat on the bed next to the girl with the pain-filled violet eyes.

Lisa Fuller

Even after that long shower she still felt dirty. Then again, Lisa hadn't felt clean in so long, she forgot what it felt like. That feeling of innocence that had left her so long ago. Shrugging it off she proceeded from the bathroom and to her room. She had to pass that Marissa girl's bedroom on the way and heard crying and calming noises coming from her room. The calming voice sounded like a guy's. What a little cheater. Not that Lisa really cared. Whether or not the other girl had sex was so not her problem.

She walked into her room, warm from having the window open all day. But it smelled so good outside. Like herbs from the garden that was right under her window. It reminded Lisa of how her mother's garden had smelled before she'd died. They had spent hours out there together weeding, watering, pruning until the garden was perfect. Those had always been her favorite times. Mommy had never let Lisa realize just how sick she was. Until years after her death, Lisa hadn't even known about the cancer that had been eating her precious mother's body.

Lisa grabbed a ponytail off the gold-painted desk and tied her hair back in a simple . knot, getting the wet strands from away her face. Then she laid down on the pale gold comforter, fully naked and not caring. She doubted anyone was going to just burst in and no one appeared to be walking around outside her window. The warm air felt nice on her damp skin. And not having cloths on helped soothe the sunburn she had from sitting outside.

Lisa looked down at her body with a critical eye. She'd been so strong at one point from playing sports in an attempt at pushing off some of the pain. But when it hadn't worked, she'd just stopped. Now, she was still slender, but her tan had gone away with her muscle definition. Her legs and abs still had some muscle and the skin was white and creamy. She'd gained more curves, but that could have just come from getting older. Her breasts had gone from a B to a C cup and would surely be covered in freckles now.