Chapter Eight

"Jonah! I said turn us invisible, since we don't know exactly where we're going to land. My Elucidator isn't responding," JB called over to him.

"Turn us invisible!" Jonah shouted. Nothing happened. "It's not responding."

"What? Take it out try again," JB ordered, his face stoic.

"It's in my pocket. I can't reach it without letting go of somebody," Jonah replied.

"Here," JB said. He reached over and grabbed the fabric of Jonah's shirt. "You can let go of me now."

Jonah obeyed, pulling out his Elucidator. "Turn all of us invisible." Instantly their bodies turned to crystal, and Jonah could no longer see them clearly in the dark. That was weird...

Then, the shape he assumed was Alexander jerked towards him.

"No, stop! Your robe is hard to hold on to!" Katherine squealed. "We can't be separated!"

In the next second, Jonah felt somebody slam into him. He heard JB gasp as he felt the fabric ripping out of JB's hand. He tightened his grip on Katherine.

"Stop it!" Jonah said.

"Give it to me! Give me the Elucidator. I'm not going back!" Alexander shouted, reaching for the Elucidator, but Jonah managed to keep it away from him.

"Yes you are! You have to!" Katherine shouted, now grabbing for Alexander's arm in attempt to stop him from attacking Jonah.

"Jonah! Katherine! Alexander!" Jonah heard JB shout. "Come back! If we get separated—"

Where is he? What happens if we get separated? Jonah wondered. We have to get back to JB!

But with Alexander putting up such a fuss, he couldn't tell exactly where JB was. "I said stop it!" Jonah shouted. Frustrated, he pulled his foot back, then swiftly kicked out. He felt his foot smack into Alexander's stomach, which sent all three of them spinning out of control.

"Jonah! Don't you think about anything before you do it?" Katherine snapped, but quickly let it go as they both realized they were reaching the end of their trip.

"We can't land yet. JB's not with us," Jonah said, looking around for His friend. "I don't see him." He heard Katherine suck in a deep breath and he winced, knowing what was coming next.

"JJJJJBBBBBBBBBB!" Katherine screamed at the top of her lungs. The sound quickly began to fade out as Jonah felt himself being torn apart and the world turning black.

The next thing that Jonah was aware of was a blinding light.

Too bright. Go away, he thought, moaning. It's so hot. Is my back on fire?

Somebody grunted beside him.

Katherine? Or JB? Jonah wondered hopefully, being too time sick to distinguish who the sound came from. Still, he forced his eyes open to survey his blurry surroundings. He struggled to bring the two glass-like figures lying next to him into focus. All that hair must belong to Katherine. And the other one's too small to be JB. Where is he?

Jonah forced himself up until he was sitting Indian style and looked around, since his vision was clearing. He was sitting on scorching sand, looking out at the ocean. It was truly beautiful, although with everything that had happened, Jonah couldn't focus on that. He gripped his Elucidator tighter and glanced over at Katherine and Alexander. She was struggling to sit up while Alexander was still lying down, clutching his stomach.

"A beach?" Katherine mumbled after righting herself. "But no JB."

"Where are we?" Jonah asked, not really expecting an answer.