"So, Cass," she said, she was always nicer to Cass than to Alex for some reason, "What do you think you will be learning?"

"I, uh, I have no idea, actually," Cass said as she started moving her meatballs around her plate with her fork.

"Mhmm," Susan said as she looked expectantly at Cass, willing her to say more.

"We'll probably learn how to use our powers and-" Cass started and then was cut off.

"I did not ask you what you BOTH will be doing," Susan said sternly. "I asked what YOU would be doing."

"Well I don't see why I cannot add my sister into this. She is doing the same as I am," Cass said, a hint of irritation interlacing her words.

"Exactly. So whatever you say you are doing, she will do the same. Why involve a plural when it is just you? You will both be learning apart from each other," she said, I thought I saw a bit of evil in her eyes.

"Well if you don't wish to hear about my sister, then you don't wish to hear about me," Cass said as she shoved her chair back, placed her hands on the table and stood up. "You would be smart to watch your mouth, Your Highness," her voice bitter and full of poison as she stormed out of the room.

I would have gone after her, told her that Susan was just asking, but I knew that it wouldn't matter and Susan was doing it to spite her, rub it in her face that she'll be alone. That they'll both be alone.

So I excused myself from the table and went to my room. I thought about Alex and I came to a conclusion. I overreacted and I shouldn't have blown up like that. She wanted to go so she could find out who she was and learn how to use her powers, but I wouldn't listen. Who am I to be the one to keep her from that? She has given everything for my siblings and I, why can't I do the same?

I couldn't sleep for another couple of hours and when I did it was a dreamless sleep.

The next morning, I went down for breakfast and was the last to arrive. I sat down and when I looked up, I saw Alex sitting across from me talking to Peter.

"So you want this then, like really want this?" Peter asked.

"Yes, yes I do. More than anything," she replied. "I feel like there's a part of me that's missing and I need to find it. You know what I mean?"

Peter gave her a sympathetic nod. "Be careful and I hope you take care."

"Thank you, Peter. And I hope all fares well here. I must finish packing, I'll be leaving in a couple of hours," she said and excused herself from the table.

I followed her without excusing myself. I heard Susan calling me back but I didn't listen to her.

"Alex," I called out as she rounded a corner.

I picked up my pace and when I turned the corner she was halfway up the stairs all the way down the hall. I sprinted to catch up calling her name. Either she was ignoring me or in her own little world.

I finally caught up to her and grabbed her shoulder turning her around to face me. The first thing I noticed was her eyes. It looked like she had been crying as she was trying to get away.

"Alex, I'm sorry, please don't cry anymore," I said with all the sincerity I could muster.

"Edmund, I want you to forget about me," she said suddenly. Her voice was so serious I almost believed her. But what she said stopped me cold.

"Wh-what?" I said.

"I want you to forget about me, move on and find someone new," she said sniffing every now and then.

"Y-you sound like you're leaving and never coming back," I said. She looked down. "You're not leaving forever are you?" my voice sounded small.

"Maybe not forever," she said, "just for a little while longer than 4 years."

"Why?" I asked desperately as my hands dropped from her shoulders.

"Because I need time to think and to learn. And you need to move on. Forget about me Ed. Please, forget about me," she pleaded.

"No, I will never forget about you, Alex" I said a little louder than I intended it to be.

She sighed. "I have to finish packing. Goodbye, Edmund."

I was enraged, distressed, and just felt plain awful. If I hadn't blown up yesterday, she wouldn't have said what she just said.

I went back to my room. I was angry and I didn't know what to do. I stared at my mirror for a long time, having an internal debate with myself.

Should I go and tell her I will never forget her? Should I do as she wished and forget her? Will I even forget her at all? Is it even possible to forget her?

No, it isn't possible to forget her. I can't forget her. Ever.

I launched myself at the door. I ran to her room and knocked on the door.

"Alex," I said. Nothing. "Alex, please let me in." Still nothing. "Alex if you don't let me in I'll-"

"She isn't there, Your Highness," said a voice behind me.

I turned and saw a faun. "Where is she?" I asked it.

"Well it is almost 11:30. She is waiting in the courtyard," the faun said before it started to walk away. "Oh," it said over its shoulder, "if you hurry now, you might be able to catch her."

I watched it walk away before my legs started running. I had to tell her. Tell her how I really felt. Tell her...that I love her. Really truly love her.

Adrenaline was pumping through my body. I looked out one of the windows over the courtyard and I saw her standing there waiting with her sister, Pete, and Lu. I was still three stories up.

I ran faster. I could make it. I had too.

Second floor, I looked out another window and a large golden dragon was landing in the courtyard. I never knew dragons could be so graceful. I almost stopped to watch it as its scales glinted in the sunlight, like a million flares coming off its body.

I ran faster. I had to make it.

First floor. I was running so hard and the adrenaline was leaving my body. I burst out the terrace doors and flew down the stairs. Just as I made it...the dragon took off.

"Alex!" I yelled after her. "ALEX!!!"

But it was too late. She was gone.

I fell to my knees and buried my face in my hands. No one bothered me. I looked up and she was being taken away. Far away from me.

I stood up and I felt so numb and isolated. No one looked at me as I walked back to my room holding back tears that I knew were just waiting to spill over.

I walked in and was about to collapse on my bed, when I saw something was already occupying it.

A golden rose. The very same one I gave to Alex. Next to it was a note.

Edmund-

Do me a favor. Watch over my rose. In it lies my heart. Take care of it. I know you will never listen to me if I tell you to forget about me. But please try. It will be hard, but you will learn to forget. You are my greatest friend. I love you, Ed. Goodbye.

-Alexandra

I never cried more in my whole entire life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So Alex is gone. Edmund was so close yet so far. I wonder what will happen when she comes back in a few years. Don't give up on me guys but the next chapter might take a while.

Much Love

Courtney <3