22. Playing By The Rules

Stephanie had heard the front door open and shut repeatedly throughout the course of the evening. Each time, a different murmuring voice joined the mix downstairs, muffled by the floorboards and doors standing between her room and the living room.

After having gotten back from the hospital a day and a half ago, Stephanie had holed up in her room. The effects of painkillers and sedative had left her feeling disconnected and miserable, definitely unwilling to leave the warm safety of her bed. For the most part, she'd been allowed her space and a semblance of dignity.

Honestly, she didn't know quite what to do about her situation. For so long her focus had been on staying alive and finding her family that the tentative desire to stay here had blindsided her completely. Guilt had readily accompanied that unwelcome sensation and only further frustrated her.

In the midst of her inner turmoil, there had obviously been something going on with her hosts and it was coming to fruition this evening. Curiosity had gradually pushed away the dejected, bone-tired weight that had pressed on Stephanie's shoulders the past day or two. Feeling gritty and half-asleep, she crawled out from under the duvet and pulled a pair of jeans on over her pajama shorts. Absently, she smoothed out her unruly hair and resolved to get a shower later.

Her chest ached and her stitches pulled, which reminded Stephanie that her painkillers were long worn off and overdue. But she wanted to be fully aware and functional for whatever was going on so she'd have to put it off for now. Unsure and wary she slipped through her door and down the stairs. Light emanated from the living room, throwing shadows into the hallway. Stephanie hesitated at the foot of the stairs, feeling like an intruder sneaking around the house like she was. Her heart rate crept up a notch but she steeled herself and took a deep but careful breath before stepping into the den of people.

***

It was a delayed reaction. Stricken by sudden, cloying panic, Stephanie stood like a deer in headlights. Daniel was the first to spot her from across the room, his eyes widening slightly, as if surprised she would leave her self-imposed prison. Then, the guards behind his eyes slammed back down, leaving her on her own in the face of many people she did not instantly recognize.

Slowly, like a domino effect, people took notice of her presence and a hush fell over the room. Stephanie fought the instinct to turn tail and run or look down and cross her arms defensively over herself. A mix of pseudo-familiar adults littered the room, and it wasn't until Stephanie glimpsed their children beside them that she realized why. Unable to hide her wariness, Stephanie surveyed the room with wide eyes. She was readily met with a grin of encouragement from Dave, a pursed-lipped scowl from Caroline, and a lowered-lidded glare from a dark-haired girl.

The silent, probing atmosphere dissolved the thick skin Stephanie had built up. She was more unsure of herself than ever.

"Is this the girl, then?"

Stephanie's attention swung toward the thickset man standing near Caroline. His blonde hair was dusted with gray and curled at the nape of his neck. Stephanie looked toward Miranda, getting the very distinct impression that the question was both rhetorical and not for her to answer. He exuded more power than even Miranda commanded of the room. It was almost suffocating.

"Yes, this is Stephanie," Miranda confirmed, more to fill the expectant silence than anything else.

Caroline's father's evaluating gaze made Stephanie feel small and insignificant in a way she hadn't felt in a while. She knew that all of the parents in the room were doing the same thing, but it didn't press on her quite so much. It took all the young werewolf had to keep her chin up and her eyes trained on the older man. That seemed to irritate him, and rightly so, but Stephanie had been her own boss for long enough that she didn't know quite how to stand down as a lower ranking member. Not anymore.