20. Self Preservation (The Darkest Side)

Liam had started his day with a strange feeling of emptiness. Lea had not come to meet him in the early hours of the morning, though he shouldn't have expected her presence at all. Today, he lost his chance to work; he was outnumbered by older men, and could not hope to compete with the competition they posed toward him.

It had been months since he'd checked on Alexei, the trek being miles further than his energy could usually afford. Initially, he'd decided a clean break was better for the young girl, and he hadn't seen her in the first couple of months, hoping that she'd be fine on her own.

Until he realized that he wasn't fine on his own.

Despite the pain and loss he felt whenever he visited her, he found that he needed a reminder of who he had been, who he was still supposed to be.

"You taking off?"

Liam smiled, in spite of himself. "Where've you been, Russ?"

The twelve-year-old boy grinned a wolfish grin and jumped down from his perch on a stack of crates and joined Liam as he walked away from his lost opportunity. "Home, for a little while."

Liam quirked an eyebrow in silent skepticism but otherwise said nothing.

"Say hi to Alexei for me," Russell quipped.

"Wait," Liam said, but the kid was already gone. "How did you know?" He whispered to no one.

***

The walk was long and lonely. The morning sun still wasn't enough to keep out the slight chill in the air that raised the flesh on Liam's bare arms. Cars passed, a stuttering stream taking up the periphery of his attention. His feet were heavy and he had to fight to keep them from dragging them across the pavement.

It wasn't long before his energy was nearly depleted, but thank goodness he still had the stamina in him to make a five-mile walk. If it weren't for his temporary job, he might not have had the strength or will to make it.

When he set foot on the lawn, he wondered whether she'd even be home. He didn't even know what day it was.

It was like that girl, never mind her inability to change, had a sixth sense because she flew out of the door before he even made it there. He managed a tired smile as the ten year old threw her arms around him. She was taller now, though still did not compare to Liam's towering height.

"How are you?" She asked, pulling back only enough to look him in the face.

Liam ruffled her hair. "I'm supposed to ask you that, Lexi."

She frowned, her eyes flashing with anger. "Not when I have a safe place to sleep and something to eat."

"I'm okay, alright?" He countered. "Now, how are you?"

Stubborn rebuttals sparked in the hazel depths of her eyes, in the set of her jaw line. Alexei left it alone, seeing the exhaustion in her friend's face. "I'm good, they're good to me."

Liam nodded, feeling the weight lift off his chest fractionally, just letting him breathe for a moment more. "Good," he said. "That's good. Not getting into any trouble are you?"

She grinned impishly, taking his wrist and leading him toward the house. "Of course not."

And then Liam grinned; he knew that it wasn't true. "I bet."

She sent him a glittering glance over her shoulder. "I was getting ready to go to school, but I can be late."

"Don't do that Lexi," he warned. "I'm supposed to be a good influence on you."