Chapter 7: Fears

"I'm really happy for Orihime. She has a bright future ahead of herself. And thanks for being so tough on me, I know I can be very loud and obnoxious so it helps to learn when I cross the line," Rangiku boasts. Rukia chuckles, "Despite how long we've lived, there will always be room for improvement. There's still a lot to learn more about yourself." "Oh come on this is embarrassing, I'm much older than you I should be the one setting an example. But then again it's just my personality." They both laughed it off. Rangiku decides it's time to depart. "I guess we can call this mission accomplished. I should head back to thank the girls on her behalf. And honestly, I'd leave all the work to the men but they aren't exactly the brightest without our help. I look forward to seeing Kurosaki at the festival," she winks while leaving.

      Rukia shrugs it off and begins to think where she should go next. Everyone seems so busy now that they're back to their normal lives. I can't help but feel anxious as danger can appear from anywhere. It's unfortunate but this is what it has come to. We live to train and fight until we drop; that's our fate as soul reapers. I hate to think about these things but I know humans don't live for long. The one reason I was so afraid of having human friends is that all of these moments will one day just be memories. Even so, I swore to cherish even the smallest parts of life. Perhaps I should plan to make something of myself in the future when the time comes.

      Uryu should be at his internship with his father at the hospital; he won't be free until the afternoon. I didn't have much time to talk with Chad, maybe I can catch him during his lunch break. Chad might be more quiet and reserved but he deeply cares about his friends. He might not be the most expressive person but he shows his love through his actions. Chad easily catches everyone's attention; someone as big and strong as him isn't exactly hard to miss. Because of this, he was offered a lot of hard-labored jobs but he settled for working as a bodyguard under private companies. He's stationed not too far from here.

      "Excuse me Miss but this is private property I cannot allow you in any further," a man with a suit explained. "I'm sorry sir I was just looking for my friend who works here." The man raised his voice slightly, "Oh I'm sure he does. I won't ask you again, please leave the premise or I'll have to escort you out personally. Believe me just because you're a little lady doesn't mean I'll be soft on you." "Believe me I won't be soft either when I shove my foot up your-" A familiar deep voice approaches, "Don't worry Boss I know her, she's my dear friend." The man only scuffed and nodded. "Sorry about that, if I had known you'd be coming I would have given him a heads up," Chad apologizes. "No, I'm sorry for coming so unexpectedly, as an apology let's have lunch together my treat!" They chatted after their meal, and Rukia reassured Chad that Orihime is doing well. "I won't pry on her personal life but I'm really glad to know she's doing just fine. She had me and Uryu worried."

      "So, how have you been lately, I see your job is treating you just right." "The people are nice and the pay is very generous, with the money I'm hoping to study at a University in Mexico. I found out from a cousin that I have some extended family there I would love to meet." "That sounds amazing, I wish you the best of luck I know you can do it!" He chuckles, "Thank you, I'll be sure to bring you guys some souvenirs. What about you, do you have anything plans for the future?" There's that word again. She felt a wave of frustration but just bite her lip to distract herself. "I don't know, you guys seem to have everything figured out but for me, the fighting never stops. Perhaps I will play a bigger role in the future but for now, I'm just waiting for an opportunity where I'm needed." Chad was taken aback by her comment, he waves to catch the waiter's attention and ordered them both desserts.

      "I wouldn't say I have it all figured out, life works in strange ways. In fact, I'm very nervous about a lot of things. I'm aware of my intimidating appearance, I'm lucky enough to have been accepted here but over there people won't be so accepting. I'm practically starting all over again and I'm afraid because it reminds me of how people treated me in the past. I've also never known any other family besides my grandfather, I wonder what kind of people they are and if they'll like me. But you know, most of all I worry about you guys, what if something happens and I'm not here?" Rukia places her hand softly on his. "When I was taken into the Kuchiki family, I received a lot of negative comments and it spread a lot of nasty rumors. Even the clan itself couldn't believe my brother for taking in a low-ranked orphan. I was grateful for finally having the luxurious life I promised my childhood friends but I couldn't just accept being handed it so easily. I started my new life as a Kuchiki, to train and live up to my name," That's it. How could I have forgotten, "once you give it some time life will give you wonderful people that will love and care for you, as you guys came into mine."

      Just then their dessert had arrived. Chad noticed Rukia eyeing the strawberries from his plate, when she wasn't looking he swiftly placed them on her plate. "Thank you for today Rukia. I hope you end up finding whatever you are looking for and I wish you the best as well. Let's enjoy the celebration to the fullest." There wasn't anything else needed be to exchanged; they just enjoyed each other's company while eating dessert.