Write your own story

The very next day, I awoke excited for what awaited. I was nervous of course, but still excited. Gabe had laid out a knee length green dress and a pair of black shorts to go underneath. There was also a pair of white flats. I quickly shower and get dressed, curious as to where I would go today. Gabe twisted two stands on either side of my head back and clipped it, then left. This morning for breakfast I had a piece of toast, half of a yogurt, and a glass of milk. I felt too excited to eat much. When the doorbell rang, I couldn't have jumped up any faster. I dusted non-existent dust off my skirt before pulling open the door. Kota stood there, holding some kind of small box. I smile and welcome him inside, slipping on my flats. "Hi Kota." He smiles and gives me a hug. "Hi Sang. Come with me for a second?" Confused, I nod and let him lead me. We end up in the half bathroom where we stand next to the vanity. "Close your eyes," he says. I close them, still confused. A moment later, I feel plastic and warm fingertips brush my cheekbones as something is slid into place. Then, he turns me around. "You can open them now." He tells me. I flutter my eyes open and a smile blooms across my face. Resting on my nose is a pair of black rimmed glasses. I giggle a little. They look like Kota's. "Do you like them?" I laugh a little and give him another hug. "Of course! They look just like yours! You know, I've always wondered what I would look like with glasses. And now I know." Kota grins. "Well, it's my gift. They aren't real prescription, but they are yours to keep." I smile and twirl around, straight to the front door. Kota stops me before I hit it and we walk out to the car. I know Kota won't tell me, so I don't bother asking. I just hum along to the radio as we drive wherever we're going. As soon as I see the large brick building, I start bouncing in my seat. It's huge! "Can you see it?" Kota asks with a smile. I roll my eyes as he parks. He parks right up next to it. "Well, here we are! Welcome to the library." I smile and tug him inside. There is so many books! I smile as Kota follows me around. I pick up several books, exploring the two floors of the library. I eventually pick up a book called Lost, a short story picture book. Kota leads me to a small area, mostly secluded. There are bean bag chairs, and we each take a seat. Shyly, I smile and hand him the book. "Will you read it to me?" "Of course," he says, pushing his glasses up his nose. He opens the book, starting to read.

Once there was a little girl, a lovely little girl named Lillian. Her mother always took her took the park on Saturdays, and so that Saturday morning they went to the park. Lillian was having so much fun, she forgot the one rule: stay in her mother's vision, and don't go to far into the woods. Lillian found a trail of daisies; Lillian followed them into the woods.

Kota turned the page, and I listened intensely.

She followed them until they came to an end, a small clearing in the woods. Looking around, she realized there was no park. There was no mom. Only trees; and she started to worry. For she could not see the sky, and did not know what time it was or if she would ever make it back.

I frowned. Would Lillian be okay? Kota turned the page again.

Lillian was afraid to move. She thought if she tried to go anywhere, she would only become more lost. She didn't want to see daisies anymore. She used to think they were beautiful...but they tricked her and now she might never see her mom again.

"Kota?" I interrupt. He glances at me. "I thought this was supposed to be a children's book?" He smiles. "Do you want me to keep reading?" I nod and he turns the page again.

Lillian didn't know what to do, so she sat down and one by one picked the daisies. She twisted them into a crown and placed it on her head. She waited to see if anyone would come for her. Then she heard noises...

Kota rolled his eyes but I tensed up. Kota frowned. "What?" I ask him, on the edge of my bean bag. "The pages are stuck. Or glued, or something. I can't pull them apart." I gape. "Lillian needs an ending!" I cry, my glasses sliding to the end of my nose. He smiles and uses his finger to push them up. "Then write one," he tells me. I shrug but decide that I will. I will write for Lillian. Luckily there is some paper and pencils on the table in this secluded area. While I write, Kota watches me and pushes my glasses up. He also reads a book, a thick novel that I can't see the name of. When I finish, I read it to Kota. He smiles as he listens to me.

The noises were voices. They were calling to Lillian. She didn't know if she was dreaming, but she was too tired to get up and move towards them. She just sat in the middle of the clearing, waiting for something. Anything. Anyone. But then she saw her mom. Her mom was calling to her. Her mom came for her, swooped her up and took her home. Lillian was safe. Lillian was found.

He smiles at me. "That was good," he says. My face lights up. "You really think so?" "I do. Everyone deserves a happy ending." I smile and give him a hug. Kota smiles as he releases me and pushes my glasses further back on the bridge of my nose. "You should get the happiest ending, Sang. It's up to you to write your own story." I blush a little and look at my feet. Kota lifts my chin up and slides my glass off. I tilt my head and slide his glasses off too. He looks different, now that I can see his eyes and his cheekbones better. But he still looks like Kota. And his eyes are still green. I put his glasses back on, but not all the way. I use my finger to push them back into place, just like Kota had done before me. And we smiled.