Sang, their friend

I start to laugh as my anger bubbles up to the surface. "Where was I? Where was I? Do you even have the right to ask that question? Because, where were you for the last....10 years maybe?! Ten years!" "Sang." Her voice cuts, but I continue. "You want to know where I was? Last time I checked your words were 'Go wherever, do whatever, be whoever, just don't cause me problems'. Do you remember saying that? Do you?" "Sang, this isn't about me, this is about you." "Is it really, mom? Up until know, it never was! Up until now, I wasn't acknowledged. I was the perfect dinner meeting daughter. I was the girl who's mom never showed up for career day. Up until now, it was all about your stupid work!" I yell. She looks slightly surprised, maybe a little hurt, but becomes angry as well. "Just tell me where you were," she says forcefully. I fight back a flinch and throw my hands up. "You want to know where I was?! I was with my friends. Because I am done playing your game now, okay? I'm being their friends if it causes you problems! They care about me, mom. They care." My voice cracks and I know that I'm fighting back tears. "Sang Sorenson," my mother warns. "I don't care what you do to me. I won't stop being their friends. I'm not giving up fighting. They care about me. Do you hear that mom? I don't care! They're my friends and I'm not letting them go!" "Sang Sorenson. You have 30 seconds to redeem yourself. Take it all back," she says sternly but I shake my head no. "I mean every word mom. I mean it all!" She frowns and crosses her arms. "You are grounded for a week!" She shouts, glaring. "I don't want to hear another word from you! Go to your room!" I cross my arms, tears falling, and run upstairs, slamming the door shut and locking it. Then I flip onto my bed and cry. I meant every word, I stuck up to my mom, and now I'll pay the consequences. But I won't back down. Not on my word, not on my promises, and most certainly not on the truth. Because they are my friends, they care, and it's going to stay that way.
------------------------
Luckily, school is tomorrow. I get on the bus the next morning and quickly head to the courtyard, counting heads. But this time, rather than six, there's seven. And I realize it must be Silas. "Hi!" I say cheerfully. They all grin and say hello. I notice North's eyes searching me, as if looking for anything new. I pretend not to notice. "Do anything interesting lately?" Kota asks. I shake my head no. North raises an eyebrow but doesn't comment. Later at lunch though, he pulls me aside. "Sang, are you okay?" I frown. "Um, yeah....Is something wrong?" "I'm not sure. We heard yelling from your house last night." A blush rises over my cheeks. I was that loud? They didn't hear what I said, did they? "Um, me and my mom got into a fight. We were that loud?" He nods a little, looking nervous. "Nathan and Kota were about to knock on the door." "They didn't listen to the whole thing, did they?" I swallow. He shrugs. "You'd have to ask them that yourself. They wouldn't tell us what they heard even if we asked. I just wanted to make sure you're okay." I nod as we head back to the table, which reminds me. "Guys!" I call, gaining their attention. "I just want you to know that I'm grounded." They raise their eyebrows. I lower my voice. "Me and my mom got into a fight last night and when I told her I meant what I said, she grounded me." "Meant what?" Luke asked. I shrugged. "Nothing for you to worry about." Gabe whined. "Please tell us! We won't tell anybody!" I giggle a little but shake my head no. "Please!" "Not right now, okay?!" I whined back. They smile and high five each other and I roll my eyes at their antics. Silly boys. When I get home that afternoon, moms car is gone. Again. I groan. "Sure thing, mom. Ground me for a week one night and leave me the next day." I roll my eyes as I step inside the house. I kick off my shoes and pull my bag up the stairs to my room. I really don't understand my mom's logic. I mean, I know parents are confusing sometimes but this is ridiculous. If anything, her absence today just proves my point further. Way to go, mother. I start on my science homework, finish the problems, and lay out on my bed absolutely bored. I realize I used to do this all the time and not be bored and figure out just how boring my life used to be. Now that I have friends, life had become more exciting, but I can't be with them apparently. Which makes boring things start to seem boring. It's kind of like if you never give a child a toy, they never know what they're missing. But if you give a child a toy, then take it away, then the world and everyday just feels like it's missing something. It's weird, but it makes sense. And my mother just took my toys away. I laugh a little, also realizing that before now she couldn't punish me because if I never had friends to start with, she couldn't take them away. I was so lonely and I never even realized it. Maybe I didn't care. But now I have friends. I have friends. I smile. Kota, the nerd. Victor, the pianist. Nathan, the ninja. Gabe, the fashionista. Luke, the comedian. North, the protective. Silas, the giant. Dr. Sean, the Dr. And Mr.Blackbourne, the leader. I guess I was just Sang, but I was Sang, their friend. And that's all I cared about.

Yay! Two updates in one night, including momma drama and the wonders of friendship. Not bad, if I do say so myself. Once again, bye guys!