Academy games

"Hey sweetheart," my mother called up the stairs. "I gotta go meet someone okay?" I wondered who it would be momentarily. "How long will you be gone?" "Just a few days, a week at most. Will you be good?" I climb down the stairs and give her a hug, nodding. "I'll miss you mom." "I'll miss you too baby girl." I wave as her car pulls out of the driveway and I smile, quickly retrieving the mail. I set mom's stuff on her desk and pick out my stuff. School letters, mostly. And then I see a manila package. I quickly dig out some scissors and cut open the envelope. My jaw fell. Because the contents of the envelope included a note- and Victor's car keys. The ones I gave to the man a week or two ago. I carefully opened the letter, trying to shake off the eerie feeling that settled in my bones.

Dear Sang,

Nice try. Think you can pull off something like that? Think again. I'm not playing academy games with you, girl. I'll be around. But don't bother looking. You wouldn't know me if a little birdie passed on the news and told you my name.
Y. T.

A shiver ran down my spine and I no longer wanted to be alone in this house. Or anywhere, for that matter. Shuddering, I pulled out my phone and dialed Mr. Blackbourne's number. "Hello?" "I'm scared," I whisper. "What? What's wrong?" The concern shone through the phone. "I don't want to be alone anymore..." I stutter. "I'll be right there."

Mr. Blackbourne's P.O.V.

I hang up. Since all of us are at Kota's house in a meeting, we quickly head to Ms. Sorenson's residence. The door is unlocked and we quickly enter. I can only hope it's not bad. "Sang!" The guys call out. There is no response. We quickly search the rooms. "Sean," I say as soon as I see her in the kitchen. Her eyes are wide and she stares at a set of keys on the counter. She holds something tightly in her hand, and is shaking badly. But when Sean moves closer, she doesn't respond. "It's like she's too scared to move..." Sean says, swiftly picking her up and carrying her to the living space. The guys all gather as well, concern masking their faces. I know that mine is probably similar. Victor leaves and returns a moment later, confused. "Mr. B," he says softly. My eyes snap to him. He holds up a pair of keys. "These are my keys. That Sang gave the man from the mall a couple weeks back." I frown. This can't be good. Not even close. "Sang sweetie," Sean whispers. "Come back to us. Please," he says, placing his hand over Sang's. Her paralyzed expression melts and she looks around the room. With a shaky breath and shaking hands, she looks at me and holds out the paper. "You should read this," she says. I take it from her as she buries her head in Sean's embrace. The boys now are the same as Sang was a minute ago. Paralyzed. I read the note over. And over. And over. "Well, Mr. B?" They ask impatiently. "Whoever she gave the keys- has found Sang. They know about the academy. And they think Sang is part of it." Every academy boy in the room stiffens. Sang shakes impossibly harder. I walk over to her, forcing her to look into my eyes. "Sang Sorenson. I promise I will never let you walk alone again." "Really?" She whispers, choking on a couple tears. I wipe under her eyes and nod. "A promise is a promise." She nods, and then asks a long anticipated question. "What is the academy?" I suck in a breath and glance at the boy next to me, then to the seven behind me. "Well," Kota says, clearing his throat. "In a nutshell, the academy is teams of people who help other people." She swallows and glances at me. "You guys are a team, right? But you prefer the term 'family'?" I nod. "That is correct. Although, the academy is a bit more complicated than that. It is also a confidential organization, which means-" "That there are somethings you won't be able to tell me. I understand." She said frowning. I nod again. "Sometimes we may not be around because we go on missions or trips- which is why you didn't meet me sooner," Silas added. "We mostly do things that police officers don't." She nods slowly, processing this. "So what did it mean by 'academy games'?" I breath in slowly. "Well, it may refer to some kind of game you would play if you were in the academy," I start.

Sang's P.O.V.

"But the academy doesn't sound like it would play games." I say confused. Kota nods. "It doesn't. That would make the statement ironic, although sometimes we refer to simple missions as games." Trying to piece this together, I take everything I've just learned and try to turn it into a puzzle. "So if they aren't playing academy games, then that could mean that they aren't making this easy." I nod. "So what about the little birdie thing? Does that have any relevance?" Victor nodded. "In the academy, girls are birds and boys are dogs." I nod. "So if he says 'passed on the news' he means to 'a bird' as referring to the academy and me being in it?" Sean nods and smiles. "Why would he think that?" Gabe raises an eyebrow. "Hello, you clearly think like a bird, you hang out with a team of dogs, and you played him like a true academy member." I blush. "Oh. But what is he planning and why does it involve me?" Mr. Blackbourne stood up and clapped his hands behind his back. "That, Ms. Sorenson, is an excellent question. Any ideas?" "Well, he probably doesn't want to kill me, otherwise he would have already. I don't even understand why he would- it's not like I've ever made enemies or whatever." The boys nod, taking this into consideration. "Is it possible that they are targeting you to harm someone that is your friend?" I open my mouth to answer but close it again. The doorbell sounds and I clamber off the couch. Who could it possibly be? I answer the door carefully. But all I see is a brown package sitting in the doorway.

The suspense is real! You guys didn't forget about the evil dude from the mall, did you? Well he's back, and he's not playing. See you next chapter!