Just around the riverbend

And now, the reveal of character is.... (look for the name, it'll stand out when you see it.)

Sang's P.O.V.

I gently take -!!Kota's!!- hands (surprise!) and lead him with me back to the kitchen. "What's wrong?" "Nothing." "Your eyes are red, you've been crying." I try to think of a reason he could be crying... He left after our conversation... I sighed. "Is it because of me? Because I said I didn't know if I believed you?" I didn't want to be the cause of any tears. When he didn't answer, I sighed. "I'm sorry, I just... I've never done this before and I'm just confused and-" He gently places his finger on my lips and I quickly hush. "It's okay. You're not why I was crying. Well technically, yes, but in an indirect way." I give a confused look as he takes his finger off my lips. "I was crying because of how you've been treated. And I know it sounds stupid, but-" This time I put my finger over his lips, silencing him. "It doesn't sound stupid. You have no idea how much that means to me. Everything you've done. Do you remember when I first met you and you chased me around the mall? When you hugged me, a complete stranger, it melted my heart. I feel safe around you. I've felt safer around you than ever before in my life." He stared at me shocked. "That's everything I wanted to hear." He said, pulling me into a hug. We walked back as a tear slid down my cheeks. When we returned, Mr. Blackbourne stood up. "Is everything alright?" I nodded. "Happy tears."
--------------------------------------------
We (Me, Kota, Nathan, Luke, and North) decided we were going to swim in his pool today. I stared at myself in the mirror. I had on a black and white polka dotted bikini. My arms, legs, stomach, and back had spread out scars and some bruises, though not many because my step mother hasn't been around of lately to give them to me. I pull my hair back into a ponytail for today so it doesn't bug me while I swim. Someone knocks on the door. "Sang? Are you almost done?" It's Nathan. "Yeah." I step out and blush as his eyes fall on my attire before he gazes at the rest of me. "Are all those scars and bruises from....?" "Yeah." "Well, I like your bathing suit." "Thanks." He leads me to the back patio and out to the pool. Everyone is in their swim attire although Luke is the only one in the pool. Kota is sitting on a chair close to the pool, North is cooking, and well, Nathan is standing next me. We are standing at the deeper end. I tap his shoulder. "Is it cold?" He shrugs. "Don't know, let's find out!" He pushes me into the pool. And I take a breath in quickly and close my eyes but the second my body grazes the water, strong arms wrap around my mid section. I open my eyes to find Luke staring back at me, and I grin. "Thanks." I murmur. He grins back. A moment later Nathan joins us and Luke turns away from the splash, me swiveling in his arms as well. "You can let go now." Luke shrugs. As he tosses me in, I somersault to the surface and grin. Somehow I end up in a game of tag, that turns into a splash contest, that ends in some kind of weird bet. Luke splashes me. "I bet we could beat you at a swim race." He says. I raise an eyebrow. "Us four each against you. If we win, you have to give each of us something. If you win, we give you each something. Deal? Oh, and no cheating." "That's it?" He nods. "Deal." I think he is underestimating me. I have done swim team for four years, won several races, and earned several medals. As I prepared to race Kota, I stretched my muscles and positioned myself. As I heard Nathan say go, I pushed off and threw my body, though I didn't have to do much to beat Kota. Yes, he had muscles, but not the best for swimming. I beat him swiftly. North was next. I used longer strides because him arms were longer, making it to the other side barely ahead of him. Then was Luke. He grinned and I increased my speed and strength pushing off the wall to get slightly ahead. He frowned when I won and I shrugged. Lastly, Nathan, their best swimmer. He would be harder to beat, but I knew I could if I tried hard enough. I pushed off with speed, increasing the speed and force of my motions at the same time. I kept a steady pace and breathed well. I kept my mind focused. I could hear them shouting my name and cheering me on. It was the last push that I needed. I touched the wall one second before Nathan and cheered, twirling in the water. Nathan looked amazed. I laughed and pulled myself out of the water, stretching my arms and legs out. I graciously accepted a burger and a water from North and sat on a chair, wrapping a towel around my midsection. "Well, I think we all know who won." I laugh. "How are you so good?" "You guys shouldn't underestimate me. I was on an elite swim team for four years. I stopped swimming after my stepmom's abuse started worsening, but I went to a friend's house to keep working on my techniques, and to strengthen my muscles. That's how." "Wow." Luke whispers. "Well, now we all owe you something." I blush. "You guys don't have to give me something. It was just a friendly competition." "You agreed to the conditions, which means you have to accept it whether you want it or not. I don't break my promises. Ever." "But-" "No buts." I sigh. "Fine." I stand up and sit at the edge of the pool, my feet dangling in the water. I lay towel on the ground behind me and lay down with my feet still in the water. I close my eyes and relax, thinking. So they are my friends because they want to be. That's good. I know I can trust them. School is well, as Pocahontas would say, "Just around the riverbend." I have a bad feeling about it though. I never liked school. But I sure liked it better than home life. I shivered and closed my eyes tighter. Home life. I pull my knees to my chest as tears make their way down my cheeks. Someone comes and sits next to me. "Hey." I can tell it's Luke by his voice. When I don't respond, he nudges my shoulder. "Want to talk about it?" I shrug a little. "I feel like a cry baby all the time and It's like I'm constantly crying or breaking down in some way when I'm around you guys." "Can I tell you something?" I nod, listening as his voice sounds a little distant. He takes a deep breath in and blows it out before he continues. "Someone once told me that crying doesn't mean you're weak, it means that you've been strong for longer than you should have to be. I think that you're breaking down around us because you feel like you can relax and be vulnerable and no one is going to use it against you like before you met us. You feel like you can let your guard down." His voice turns bitter at the end. "Why are you upset?" "Because you shouldn't have to go through what you did, and for that long either." He says firmly. I puzzle over the guys reactions to my life's previous situation and can't help but wonder, why? Why do they care so much? "Luke? Why do you guys feel the need to shoulder my burdens?" He looks at me surprised as I dry the tears from my face and look at him. "Because, we know what's it like... and we know it's better if you help shoulder people's burdens and build them up." "Does that mean all of you guys...?" He nods slowly, forcing his eyes shut. "Do you want to talk about it?" He doesn't respond but studies my face before he pulls me in his arms, his body shaking. "Oh, Luke... I'm sorry..." He slowly stops trembling as I rub his back. We sit there for a couple minutes when I realize he's fallen asleep. I smile and move slowly out from under him, holding his head up as I fold the towel into a pillow.

North's P.O.V.

I am about to go outside to see what's taking Luke so long when I notice Luke lying in her arms. I study her as the scene unfolds. She slowly moves from beneath him, propping his head up with one leg as she folds one towel into a pillow and lays his head on it. Then she moves the rest of the way out from beneath him and places the towel he brought out for her on his body. I smile a little as I think of her thoughtfulness. She then moves silently to the backdoor where I'm standing. She blushes as she steps inside, realizing that I'd been watching the whole time. "Luke's asleep. I'm going to go change. Promise me you'll stop him if he starts to roll into the pool?" I smile and nod, agreeing. She wanders off down the hall, disappearing into one of the rooms.

Hi guys, how are you? Well, I'm good. Question of the chapter is .... if you could change your name to anything you wanted what would you choose? Comment, ask questions, vote, and I will try to get another chapter up today!