It Was My Job To Protect You

(Takes place at Alexandria) Carl's P.O.V
Requested By: lilafromseven-a

Word Count: 1738

~~~~"Hey, wake up." I opened my eyes to see Y/N standing over my bed with a devious smirk on her face. "What are you doing here, it's like 1am." I yawned, sitting up and stretching my arms.

"I'm here because tonight's the night we're sneaking out to adventure to the creepy ass high-school across the woods idiot." She laughed sitting on the edge of my bed, oh god how I love her laugh. Her eyes crinkling around the corners. I laughed, my voice still a bit coarse from just waking up. "I forgot about that. Give me like five minutes to get dressed." I said kissing her as she walked out. Closing the door behind her quietly so nobody would wake up.

Quickly I put on a clean shirt, hoodie,  jeans, and my boots. Placing my knife and gun into my belt. I opened the door to see Y/N leaning against the stair railing. "Ready?" She asked with a smile. "Ready." I reassured, grabbing her hand as we snuck out of the house. Well not really sneaking, everyone in the house was pretty deep sleepers so we didn't have much to worry about.

"I'm excited to see if there's gonna be anything cool." Y/N said. I glanced over to her and chuckled. "Yeah, me too. But we still have to be careful. Remember that this is the night of the living dead." I mocked back to a movie I saw a few days ago. She laughed "Yeah yeah, thanks dad." She mocked back.

    We snuck over the gate the way Enid showed me a while ago when we first got there. As we walked through the woods it was creepy with a hint of adventure. We encountered a few walkers but quickly got rid of them.

"There it is." Y/N pointed to the six-story high-school. "What high-school is six-stories?" I asked quite puzzled to why a district would need such a big school. "Lots of teenagers I guess." She shrugged her shoulders. "Now let's get in there already, I'm dying to see what's inside." She whined tugging on my arm. I rolled my eyes and laughed "Sure, but doesn't it seem creepy to you?" I asked as we slowly walked up to it.

"Aww, is my little boyfriend Carl scared of the big giant high-school?" She mocked, pursing her lips. "It's okay I'll protect you." 

"No way man, that school is nothing to me. Mr. Grimes. And I think you're mistaken, It's my job to protect you." I replied kissing her. 

The school was quiet. No light what-so-ever. Thank God that Y/N remembered to bring a flashlight.

"Where is everything, this place is wiped clean." Y/N whispered. "I don't know, but this place is too quiet for my liking." "Yeah, it's pretty fucking quiet."

After a-lot of walking around and seeing no walkers in sight we were starting to get suspicious. Until we got to the top level and once we were up the stairs were were met with hoard of I would say forty or more walkers wandering around the large floor. Y/N froze. 

"Y/N, be quiet and we need to leave now." I whispered to her. She gave me a simple nod. I grabbed her hand prepared to leave and protect her at all costs. We turned around to be met with walkers tripping and stumbling up the stairs.

"Fuck." I whisper under my breath which is shaky and uneven. I needed to think fast, find a way out. Y/N had her gun out long ago, our hands nowhere near being held anymore. 

"C'mon, this way." I lead her over to a room, locked. Checking each door and finding them locked from the inside. I ran over to another room opening the door but not knowing that Y/N had not made it in. She fell behind from me while running. Being tripped by another walker. My heartbeat to loud for me to hear her screaming out to me for help. Selfish of me.