“Well...”

“Well?”

“You guys became closer when you ... when you feel out of the treehouse.”

My eyebrow arched up in confusion. “When I fell out of the treehouse?”

“Yes ... I’m hundred percent certain that the last memory you have is the same event that was a turning point for you and Peter’s relationship. When you fell out, you had busted open you head. You had to have twelve stitches and stay in the hospital for a few days. Peter felt so bad for what he accidently did. The poor boy stayed right by your side, barely slept and didn’t eat for a good amount of days. Every second you were wake he was begging for you to forgive him. Of course you did after you saw how much he was torn up about what happened ... The moment we got home and ever since, he and you were joined at the hip...”

My lips drooped down into a frown as I let her words sink in. Honestly, the relationship she says I had with Peter was exactly what I have always longed for. To know that it was just a memory away made me heartbroken.

Suddenly, my head started to pound, “ugh,” I muttered

“What is it?” Mom asked me with concern seeping in her soft voice.

“Headache,” I replied as I placed my arm over my eyes in hope to block out the light that was not making my headache any better.

“Let me call you the nurse to give you some medicine.” I heard my mom scramble over to the other side of my bed where the nurse call button was. “Shit,” Mom hissed.

“What is it?” I breathed as I kept my arm over my eyes.

“The button is not working. I will have to go hunt her down myself ... are you going to be ok-”

“Go,” I urged before she could ask me if I was going to be okay alone.

A sigh escaped her mouth before she spoke. “I will be right back.” With that I heard the sound of footsteps that got farther and farther away from me.

Silence filled the room and I knew my mother was standing by the door looking at me as she second questioned her decision to leave me alone. “Go, Ma. I will be fine, I need the medicine,” I exclaimed.

There was no reply but I heard the door close with a click. After a few seconds passed I started to try not to worry about my memories for it seems whenever I start getting mad about not remembering things my headaches startup.

So with slow inhales and exhales, I tried to convince myself that everything was going to be okay and that when my mind wants to remember everything, it will.

“What are you doing?” A deep voice asked in the middle of my loud exhale.

As I slowly removed my hand from my face and I started to feel my cheeks burn up. “N-nothing.”

Bryson’s green eyes held humor for a second before he spoke. “Are you ready to leave this place?”

“Leave?!” Sitting up with lightening speed, I smiled wildly. “Are you shitting me?!” Suddenly, I covered my mouth and blushed.  I couldn’t believe I said that in front of a boy, much alone Bryson. Oh, I bet he thinks I’m a potty mouth, which I am not because my mom taught me not to say bad words. Removing my hand from my mouth, I looked at Bryson with embarrassment. “I’m so sorry I said that! Please! Please don’t tell my mom I said that word!”

Giving a few chuckles Bryson looked at me like I was crazy. “Are you, Elle White, afraid of your mom?”

“Yes! ... Wait, let me guess, the eighteen-year-old Elle wasn’t...”