Home Coming

Then he moved.

His head tilted a little to the side, I wouldn't have noticed if his hair didn't move in front of his eyes.

"Mitch, get Mrs. Turnner," I hissed. Mitch quickly ran out the door toward the nurse's station, which had the closest phone, while I went over to kneel by Drew's bedside.

"Drew, I know with every fibre in my body that you can hear me. Please wake up, I need you to wake up. Tyler, your mom and your dad need you too," I whispered into his ear, almost in tears. It felt like forever as he peeled his blue eyes open. Once they were, he looked around without moving his head, then he hissed a cuss.

"Drew?" I was shocked to see him awake and didn't know what else to say.

"Cassy?" he smiled, still a little dazed. "I could hear you, the whole time."

I blushed, suddenly feeling silly. I just smiled at him and grabbed his hand.

"You can't move away from me," he whispered, his head still didn't move.

"I won't, I promise."

In minutes the room was full of doctors, nurses and family, I was ushered out of the room like I wasn't important.

I sat for hours in the waiting room with Mitch. Mrs.Turnner was in with the doctor and Tyler was at a relatives. Drew was declared healthy at five past six that very night. He came into the waiting room looking healthy but slightly limping from not using his legs. I smiled and darted from my chair to his arms. He stumbled back from shock, but melted into the hug.

"If you ever put me through something like that again I will kill," I mumbled as I buried my face in his chest.

"I know," he chuckled.

"Come on Drew, we better get you home," his mom smiled at him.

"I'd like to drive him home, if it's okay," I offered. Mrs. Turnner just smiled and walked away. We drove in silence until I was parked in front of the house, that was over flowed with Drew's family.

"What happened to you that night?" I asked before he could he could jump from Mitch's truck.

"Got upset, confused and... I don't want to talk about it," his hand dropped from the truck handle.

"Okay, call me once in the morning?" Drew nodded before kissing my cheek and jumping from the truck. I was sad to see him go but his family needed to be with him right now.

Once I got home I slept away all the fear and anxiety that covered my mind the last week.

The next morning I felt even worse. I felt like everything I had gone through was to much, everything was just too much. I couldn't process it was over, it all built up inside me.

"Mitch!" I screamed.

"What?!" he ran into the room within seconds.

"It's not over," I sighed, "I still have one more thing left.

Mitch rolled his eyes and left the room. After getting dressed, I pulled my phone out and checked it. There was one message from Drew lighting up the screen.

"Meet me by the willow?" I smiled and replied back.

"Give me an hour."

I walked over to the bus stop and hopped on. The bus ride seemed to take forever as I passed the familiar streets and trees, but soon I was off at the old bus stop I used to use when I was a kid. Before going to the willow I had to do something. I hesitated at the door, but tapped my knuckles on the wood. After a few seconds the door opened.

"Cassandra?" my father asked, he then did something I never thought he would, he started to cry.

"It's me dad," I smiled sadly at him while he stepped aside to let me in. He wipped a few stray tears from his eyes as he sat in his chair, I sat on the couch a few feet away.

"I am so sorry, I thought I lost you forever," he whispered. "Are you coming home?"

"No, dad I have to stay away. It's better this way," I sighed, he looked hurt, but he smiled.

"Just know that I do love you and I regret hurting you both physically and emotionally."

"I know and I am sorry for running off," I looked down at my shoes which were still safely on my feet.

"I don't blame you."

"Mitch and I are living in a small apartment downtown, Mom is temporarily there too," dad looked at me with a glazed expression.

"Your mom is back?" he asked, leaning forward.

"Yeah, she is the still mom, the same as she was a few years ago."

"Could you tell her to call me?" he asked.

"I will, but right now I have someone I have to meet," I hugged him goodbye and walked myself out. I felt better knowing he cared, comforted to a point where I thought our relationship could mend.

I walked down the lonely street toward the broken down fence. I jumped it and laid under the familiar shadow of the willow tree.

***

Whoa, wait, hold it! I only have the epilogue left. What?

Okay, it's short and the epilogue will be too, I am sorry. There will be no second Heartbreak...