Bonding ~ Elrond's Message

Start from the beginning

I wish not to hide myself. I want to be beside you if anything were to happen.   

"For the journey you will be, I assure you, Rivendell is safe, nothing could possibly happen to me there. Besides, we do not have a choice, if you refuse to hide yourself, my father will not let you come and then I will be alone," Legolas reasoned tightening the last strap.

I will do it, I just don't like it. Loosen the last one, little one. Legolas did as she asked, checking to see if it was better. When she agreed that it was Legolas patted her on the neck. 

"Meet me outside the gates, I must speak to my father before we leave." Forn grumbled her agreement to Legolas' plan before hopping into the air, over the walls and landing swiftly on the other side while Legolas made his way to the throne room. 

"Ada, we are ready to leave," Legolas said knocking with his newly gloved hands. He had just remembered to put them on, not wanting his father to be unhappy because he had forgotten. 

"Travel safe, my son." Thranduil's eyes traveled to Legolas' hands before nodding. "And good luck." Legolas bowed to his father before exited the room, practically running out of the gates and swinging himself into Forn's saddle. He stripped off the gloves, telling himself that he would remember to replace them later. Forn shot straight into the air until they were floating among the clouds, then with one soft movement she leveled herself, flying for the direction of Rivendell. 

~*~

They rested during the day, thinking it more likely nobody would see them if they flew at night. The only problem with this plan was the fact that they reached Rivendell at night, leaving Legolas to tramp around in the dark as Forn found a place to hide herself in the mountains. 

"Prince Legolas!" Elrond said as he passed through the entrance on his way to his quarters. "I had to say, I was not expecting you at an hour such as this."

"I am sorry, Lord Elrond, for arriving at such an hour, it seemed that this is simply the way my travel chose to work out," Legolas replied smoothly. 

"We are very glad to see you, I will lead you to your room, if you would follow me..." Legolas followed him and collapsed onto his bed once Elrond had left. 

Comfortable Forn?

Yes, although I am not sure if it is your comfort or mine. Either way I will live. You little one? 

The only way to make this better would to have your wing as a canopy. 

Such flattery. Legolas cracked a smile. 

Goodnight Forn.

Sleep well, little one. 

~*~

Legolas woke up and immediately looked around for Forn, only to remember with a pain in his chest that they were separated. Forn was still sleeping at this point so she was unresponsive in order for conversation, so (sadly) he had to speak to other elves to satisfy that need. It was quite pleasant. 

"Legolas!" A voice cried from behind him. Legolas turned and felt his face light up as he saw who it was.

"Aragorn, a joy to see you again!" Legolas replied and the two embraced, however quick it was.

"The gloves are new," Aragorn noted as they pulled away from each other. 

"The grime is new," Legolas replied and Aragorn laughed, clapping the elf on the back before making his way over to where Lord Elrond sat, or probably more importantly, his daughter Arwen. Legolas found his way out of the easting pavilion, making his way to the best view of the mountains. He looked at them all individually, trying to guess which Forn had hidden herself in, that of course proved impossible since Forn was still sleeping (they could sleep forever if they choose, most choose not to, they do still need to eat) and some of the mountains were hidden behind others. Legolas sighed and headed towards the library, since Forn was unavailable he decided to make himself useful. 

"Dragon Riders? I would have never guessed you were interested in those myths," Arwen said sitting across from him. Legolas looked up before closing the book.

"Just trying to interest myself. You know," He slid the book towards her. "There is a lot of information for a myth." Arwen took the book from him. She flipped through the pages, skimming each one. 

"You are right." She hummed softly as she was thinking. "Perhaps they are real." 

"Do you know where your father is? I wish to speak with him," Legolas asked, suddenly feeling like he should talk to Elrond about the Riders. 

"He is in his office, I can lead you if you would wish it," Arwen answered handing the book back to him. Legolas took it distractedly and followed Arwen out of the room.

~*~

"Lord Elrond, have you ever seen one of these before?" Legolas asked as he removed his glove, showing the spiral scar on his hand. Elrond's eyes widened with surprise and he gently took Legolas' hand into his own, examining the mark.  

"Never in person, but I have heard of them," Elrond answered. "It is the Mark of the Riders... Does this mean...?" Elrond trailed off, looking at Legolas with wonder.

"Yes, I am bonded with a dragon," Legolas answered softly. 

"This is wonderful news, the Riders can thrive again!" Elrond exclaimed dropping Legolas' hand. 

"Not quite," Legolas said. "Dragon are being killed off, there are those who do not remember how dragons used to be and now that I am a Rider, I possess power some would kill for. If I publicly say I am one I will not only be putting myself in danger, but my dragon as well." Elrond nodded slowly, obviously deep in thought. 

"Yes, I understand... But if you do not mind me asking, where is this dragon of yours?" 

"Hidden in the mountains, my father does not want anyone to know of her, or what I am." 

"With good reason as well, but why tell me?"

"I needed answers, and you seemed to be the only elf that had them."