chapter 6

Faith

"You lied to me," I said, storming into his house, knowing he was alone since his parents were never home on weekdays. I walked past him and through the door he held open for me.

He looked bewildered as I threw my jacket in the entrance closet, unapologetically stepped into his dining room, and sat down onto the sturdy table.

"What exactly are we discussing?" Brendan asked, confused. He followed me into the room, as nervous as Brendan Wenthward could possibly be.

"You told Chad, even though you promised me you wouldn't tell anyone," I explained, picking up an apple from the centerpiece behind me. "You lied."

He walked over to me to snatch the red fruit from my hand and placed it back on the table. His hand was still travelling from behind my shoulder to his side when he retorted :

"Yeah, well why did you believe me?"

"You're the biggest joke I know Wenthward, seriously."

He smiled.

"At least I'm something to you now. Not too long ago you practically wanted me to drop dead."

I shot him this incredulous look and hopped off from the table.

"Oh trust me, I still do. You betrayed me by going around my back and telling my dad about Xander..."

"A guy who was, as you discovered, up to no good," he cut me off, "Don't tell me you didn't dodge a bullet right here thanks to yours truly. He was insane Faith, and it was just a matter of time before you'd become his next punching bag!"

"Xander was not insane. Lost, confused, broken, maybe, but not insane. He just needs time to fix things, and... And how'd you even know about his past in the first place anyway?"

His face softened and his stared left my face to fix the ground for a second. He walked away from the kitchen, heading towards the spacious living room. I trailed behind, not intending to let this slide so quickly.

"So?"

"This isn't what you came here for, right?" Brendan replied dryly, taking a seat on the sofa.

I stayed up, arms folded over my chest.

"I still want to know."

He placed his face in between his slender fingers, staring straight ahead of him.

"Girls aren't the only ones who talk, you know?" he sighed out, "Mason told me about how he didn't want to turn out like his brother, and that he wanted to protect Nadine as much as he could instead of hurting her. Did you even think for a second that he wouldn't have told me about his brother's violent outbursts as soon as he heard he and you were a thing?"

Okay, that made sense, but I still didn't know if the thought of him going to the extreme lenght of befriending my father to get Xander and I to split up was comforting or not. So I simply stood there, eyeing him as I normally would, mouth pursed and eyebrows slightly frowned.

He rolled his eyes.

"I shouldn't even have told you this, you probably don't believe me," he burst out, getting up from the couch.