"So between the transition of the two worlds were you naked for at least a second?"

    "I do not know why this concerns you," I answered trying not to blush. 

    "Tough crowd," he raised his eyebrows, taking a sip from his coffee afterwards. "I didn't know how you wanted your coffee, so I put one cream and one sugar. Taste it so I can adjust it."

    I lifted the mug and just as I was about to drink it, I smelt a hint of vervain in the coffee.

    "I prefer my coffee without vervain," I said. He set the forkful of eggs down. "I am not stupid, but it seems like you are. My father hunted down the vampires in our town. He knew about their existence. Vervain existed in my time, and he forced us to wear it and drink it every morning. I know how vervain smells, tastes, feels and looks. If vervain had a sound I would know. I know how vervain smells, tastes, feels and looks. If vervain had a sound, I would know. You cannot fool me."

    "Okay, well why didn't you drink the coffee? Do you have something to hide dear Isadora?" He leaned forward, looking me sternly in the eyes.

    I laughed, "I'll humour you if that is what you want." I drank the coffee; it was bitter. I knew his act of kindness hid an ulterior motive. He thought I was a vampire because I tried to save them. "For future reference, I take my coffee with two creams and two sugars, this coffee is as bitter as your attitude." I stood up from the table, not waiting for his response. 

    "Isadora!" He called out from the front door of the house. It must have rained last night, the lawn was wet.

    "Are you here to stake me? I can certainly teach you how to kill a vampire if that was your goal during our short-lived meal." I turned and faced him. The sunlight was directly in my eyes. It hurt looking at him, not just because of the sun, but because of everything, he has done in less than a day. He threatened to kill me twice. He insincerely apologized and attempted to murder me because he thought I was a vampire.

    "I'm not going to apologize because I'm not sorry. I wasn't going to risk my life. My instincts thought you were a vampire, so I had to kill you. Turns out you're just a normal human being, how boring."

    "I would rather be a boring human than immortal. I do not despise them. I despise the idea of becoming one."

    He decided to redeem himself by driving me to a nearby supermarket

    He decided to redeem himself by driving me to a nearby supermarket. We stocked up on food to avoid regular trips here. Kai explained how his prison world was a constant loop of the same day, the day he mercilessly killed his family. Although, he never told me why. He has been here for 7,301 days. It was nothing compared to the number of days I spent.