Chapter 9-- Lammas Celebration

Beginne am Anfang

"Uh, I forgot to tell you." The guilty look on his face told Shayla clearly that she wasn't going to like what he had to say, "I'm going to be gone this week. I've got to go back home for a little while to visit with family."

Shayla just looked at him, wondering why she was just hearing about it.

"We always celebrate Lammas together, and the week leading up to it is spent getting ready."

"It's fine, I just wish you'd told me earlier." She pulled him to a stop at the foot of the steps and wrapped her arms around his neck. "But, just so you know, this is going to take a lot of making up."

The look of guilt vanished from Soren's face and was swiftly replaced by one of hunger. He pressed his lips down onto hers as though he was trying to convey how much he wanted her through actions alone. After a few minutes Shayla pushed him back and smiled. Her cheeks were pink and her lips red, making him hunger for her even more.

"I've got to go. Be safe." She instructed as she started up the stairs.

"I will. I'll let you know when I'm headed back."

)O(

"Help me lock up and put things back in order?" Amethyst asked.

Shayla nodded her agreement and headed to the front to lock the door. The day had been spent learning about the items for sale in the shop. She and Amethyst spent their lunch break in the backyard garden, reciting the names and properties of herbs. Her knowledge of the occult was taking off quite nicely. Even Amethyst had told her so several times. Learning all of this made her feel like she finally had a life of her own. Like she finally fit in somewhere. Finding Soren was just the icing on the cake. She knew deep down that her life was really starting. She was just starting to live.

Just as she reached the front door it opened, causing her to jump and make a really embarassing yipping sound.

"Sorry little lady. You're just who I was looking for though." A gruff voice called out of the darkness.

"Wh---? Earl? What are you doing all the way up here?" Shayla screeched, still recovering from her near heart attack.

"Well Ms. Cooper, I've come to cordially invite you to the town's Lammas celebration."

Shayla's eyes widened and she stood speechless. There were many reasons she didn't want to go and several people she didn't want to see. But being rude to sweet old men wasn't her thing. So she decided on a way to make it easier for herself.

"Can my friend Amethyst come too? I'd feel more comfortable then."

As if she heard the entire conversation, the tall blonde breezed into the entry way.

"And I'd be honored if you'd allow it Earl."

"Well, well if it isn't Ms. Amethyst Easton. It's been a while. Come give old Earl a hug."

Shayla watched as Earl wrapped Amethyst in his arms like a father would a daughter, and wondered how they knew each other. Her confusion must have shown on her face because he smiled and said, "This little miss here used to live in town as well. Just down the street from your house as a matter of fact."

"Oh, well I never knew that. So Ame," She started and turned to face the other woman, "You'll go with me to the celebration?"

"I'd be delighted. My coven will be sad not to have me, but they'll understand." She replied, her smile clearly showing how genuine she was. Shayla was struck by the feeling of how lucky she was to have these people to surround her.

)O(

Friday afternoon, not long after Amethyst had shown up at her house, they were nearly ready to go.