Chapter 9-- Lammas Celebration

Chapter 9

Monday morning came too early for either of them, but Soren climbed out of the bed silently to make a quick breakfast for the two of them. When Shayla finally shambled into the kitchen, bleary eyed and disheveled, he had already scrambled the eggs and toasted a few slices of bread.

"Here, eat something. It's going to be a long day of shopkeeping for you!" He laughed, resulting in a glare from Shayla that could've killed.

"I think you've made your opinion on my job quite clear. And I'm fairly sure I told you where to stuff that opinion as well." She retorted around a mouthful of eggs. She looked less than ladylike, but Soren just laughed and gave her a kiss on the nose before heading off to their room to get dressed.

"Hurry along or you'll be late for your first day." His laughter echoed down the hallway as he strolled over to the dresser. Though he seemed happy and at ease, his thoughts were a dark snarling mess. He had been sent here to give reports on this girl. He hadn't intended to fall for her. In fact it had been expressly forbidden. He didn't know what they wanted from her, but no indication had been given that it was anything bad. All he had been told was to watch and train the girl.

But the way she had met his every insult with a blush and a comeback had turned his head. The way she fought his flirting with style caught his eye. She was a strong woman, and he was terrified for her. He needed answers, but to get them he would have to leave Shayla alone most of the nights for the entire week. Whatever the meeting would entail, it wouldn't be pleasant. He hadn't reported in for several days, though he had been told to report daily. She had to come first. That much he knew, so he plastered his trademark smirk on his face just as Shayla entered the room looking a little more awake. She was still far from bright eyed and bushy tailed, and he told her as much.

"Well, perhaps you could move back to your own room then. You wouldn't have to see me in the mornings. That'd be better wouldn't it?" The false hopefulness that lit up her eyes almost made Soren believe she was serious. Almost. He caught her by the wrist as she walked past him to the closet and pulled her closer.

"But then I couldn't do this," he explained as he planted a kiss on her neck. "Or this." He continued as he kissed up to her jaw.

"Alright, alright! I was joking. Stop it or we'll never get out of here." She squealed and tried unsuccessfully to bat his hands away.

"And did I forget to mention this?" He asked with convincing confusion and he pulled her head closer and touch his lips to hers in a tender kiss.

She stilled almost immediately, and twined her arms around his neck to better return his kiss. After several minutes of kisses and quiet murmurs she pulled away from his demanding body, which had been trying to pull her back to the bed, and cocked her head to the side.

"You know, if I didn't know any better I'd think you were trying to make me miss work."

Soren's eyes glinted with something between frustration and humor. "Good thing you know better huh?"

)O(

They made it to Karma and Illusions with just minutes to spare. Soren had continued to try and convince her to stay home with promising kisses and sweet words. However, Shayla felt indebted to Amethyst and refused to let her down. So he was still sulking by the time they made it to the shop.

"Come on Sor, cheer up. I'm not working that long. We'll have all night to ourselves." She pleaded as they stopped at the foot of the stairs.

Some emotion passed over his face too quickly for her to identify.