Chapter 4 - 'Research'

'Emma!' a voice greets me as I walk through the front door.

'Hey!' I answer.

A small figure appears at the top of the stairs. 'Manners Emma!'

'Good afternoon, mother.' I sighed.

'How was your day?' I open my mouth to answer but she has already moved on. 'Your dinner is in the oven. Your father is at the office today and I have work to do, so you will have to eat on your own. I'm sorry, tomorrow it will be different, I promise.'

With that, she disappeared again. I sighed, walking into the kitchen. It's been this way the whole time I have lived here, it was all just empty promises. Admittedly, for the first couple of months it was different, neither of them had a job so they spent more time together, and more time giving me attention. Then they got jobs and everything went downhill. I can't complain though, they are the best family I've ever had. No drugs, no abuse, no empty bottles lying around. I'm old enough to leave but... I have nowhere to go.

I sigh, dropping my bag on a chair, and I take my food out of the oven. It looks great, but I'm just not hungry. I pick my bag up again and walk to my room.

I put my headphones in and listen to Paramore, and I let myself think about the elevator. It's only been 2 days since the first day, and meeting Regina, yet she is already on my mind 24/7. That body, those lips, that smirk, I want her so badly. But in what way?

I sigh and lean back against the roof tiles. My mother hates it when I come out here but she never notices anymore, she's too busy.

I want Regina, that much is clear, but do I just want sex? A relationship? I shake my head at the thought. I don't want a relationship with my principal! Do i?

I climb back through my window just as the maid walks into my room. 'Your mother will kill you if she knew you were out there again,' she says, with an obvious Spanish accent. I smile at her and put my finger to my lips. 'Shh, they don't have to know'.

She rolled her eyes and started to pick my clothes up from the floor. 'What's wrong?'

'Why has something got to be wrong?' she stops and looks at me. 'You only go out there when there is something wrong. Besides, I can tell you have been distant these last few days, so... who is he?'

I stare at her, wondering if I should tell her, and decide that she won't say anything. 'it's a girl. And nothing is going to happen anyway, she's just playing with me.' I shrug.

'A girl. Hmm. Why do you think nothing will happen? Anything is possible.'

It comforts me that she doesn't react at all to the fact it's a girl. 'believe me, it's impossible.' I sigh, and roll onto my bed. 'She's older than me.'

'That's not a problem. Love doesn't care about a little thing like age.' She says, throwing a dirty shirt into the basket.

'No! it's not love! It's...' I stop myself, realising too late what I am about to say. I feel my face burning, I must be so red.

'oh! That' she nodded, and took a seat next to me. 'well, that doesn't matter either, I mean, it's legal, and if you want to have a bit of fun, go ahead!'

I stare at her in shock, and can't help but laugh. 'Yeah, right but that's not the complicated part.' She raises an eyebrow. 'She's my teacher. And my principal.'

The maid opened her mouth to say something but closes it again. 'Uh, well yes that makes it a bit more complicated.'

'But it's not even just that!' I say before I can stop. 'there's more!'

'More? Surprise me'

'she kissed me. Today. It's so confusing! One minute she's staring at me like she wants to jump me right there, and the next minute, she's ignoring me and pretending nothing happened. And she always has that damn smirk on her face, god!'

'Woah wait, she kissed you? That means she wants you.'

'I don't know! Does she? It's confusing!' I throw myself down onto my pillow and look up at the ceiling.

'Well if she's teasing you this much...' she stood and picked up the basket. 'I'll tell you one thing Emma, playing can be so fun, but careful you don't get hurt.'

I sit back on the bed and smile at her. She's another reason I can't leave, she's like an aunt to me, I can't leave her. I stand up and hug her. 'Gracias'.

She returns the hug. 'No sweat, girl.' And with that she left the room, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

**********************************************************************************

The two longest lessons of my life. Maths and History were boring as hell, but now it's time for maths, and I can't help but get excited. I get to my classroom and sit down, just as he bell rings. Where is she? 5 minutes go by and she's still not here, how weird.

Another 5 minutes pass and a teacher appears at the front. 'Principal Mills can't teach today because she has an important meeting with some parents. She has allowed you to have a free period.' The class burts into cheers and claps. We never have free periods. The teacher had to raise her voice to be heard over the students. 'But she says it's only this once, don't get used to it. You can stay in the room or go out but please remember to be quiet, other classes are in their lessons.

Almost everyone piled out of the classroom then, and she left too. I sat there for a minute, wondering if she had not come in because of what had happened between us. No. that's just being stupid. When everyone had left, I picked up my bag and headed to the café. A meeting? Seriously? What a timely coincidence. I decide to do some small research now that I have time.

I reach the café in 5 minutes. 'Emma! What are you doing here? It's not your break yet.' The voice of a brunette waitress shouted across the shop.

I take a seat in the corner of the counter, where she is standing. 'Hey Rubes, I'm good, glad you asked. How about you?'

'Sorry, it's weird seeing you here so early. Skipping classes?' she asked as she put a bear claw and milkshake in front of me.

'I've got a free period.' I answer as I take a sip of the milkshake.

'You? A free hour? You never have those.' Ruby gave me a suspicious look from over the counter.

'well we have a new teacher who also happens to be the principal. She had an important meeting so she let us out early.'

'New teacher?'

'Yeah, maybe you've seen her. Short dark hair, red lips?' I ask casually.

'Oh! You're talking about Sexy Face,' she smiles. I can't help but laugh. 'Sexy Face? Really? That's what you went with?'

'What? Are you going to tell me she's not? She's hot!'

I shrug while containing a smile. She is hot. 'do you know Sexy Face then?'

'Yeah, busy woman, always the same order, tall skim latte with two pumps of vanilla, no sugar. She's asked about you.'

I almost choke on my milkshake. 'What?'

She nodded, 'The other day, she came in here in the evening. She was trying to sound uninterested but I could tell she really was.'

'What did she want to know?' I try not to look desperate so I lean back on the chair.

'She asked me how often you come in here, what you order and what you like to do when you're here'

I can't believe what I'm hearing. 'And what did you say?'

'The truth. You come in here every break and most evenings, you like milkshakes and bear claws are your weakness. I also said you play chess and read a lot.'

My jaw dropped. She asked for me? What the hell? Ruby grins at me, 'I've seen the way you look at her, how she made you blush yesterday. Control your hormones girl! I can see them a mile off!'

I open my mouth to reply but the sound of the door interrupts me. When the bell stops I go to reply again, but the distinct sound of her heels on the floor made my back stiffen.

6cme3Oe%: