Chapter 3 - The Elevator

I'm sat at my desk as the bell rings, signalling the start of the lesson. Everyone comes piling in and sits at their table, clearly waiting for their hot new teacher to arrive. It's stupid but it kind of gets me annoyed that the boys like her too. She's mine. Sure enough, a few seconds later, the door slams and stony silence reigns in the room as she takes out a pile of papers and leaves them on her table.

'I have marked your tests. It is clear we need to work extra hard this year if you want to pass this subject with a good grade. There are a select few that passed this test and I can see passing this course confidently, but...'

She let the silence end the sentence for her. She then picked up the pile of paper and started handing them out around the class. I don't know why but I waited for her to come to my table, but I passed already. I need to calm down if I'm ever going to pass this class.

'Okay, you have your tests, so take a good look at it. Open your notebooks, this will be the first and last time I will do this. Miss Swan is going to come and do the test while you copy it into your books, so you have an example of the correct work. Miss Swan, Please?'

The other students look confused, probably not used to me being called Swan, but that's not what's wrong. I can't move. I just can't. Why is she doing this? I hate going to the board! She sits there looking at me until I force my legs to move, and I walk to the board with my text in my hands. I take the marker and start the first question. I copy the whole test as fast as I can, and turn to look at her when I'm finished. She's at the back of the room, leaning casually against the wall... right behind my desk.

'See? That's how it is supposed to look. Thank you Miss Swan, you may return to your seat.'

The students shoot jealous looks at me, but I am so used to the hate that I just ignore them as I walk back to my seat. Regina watched me until I sit down, and bites her lips. I swallow hard at the sight and collapse into my chair. She waits until I'm sat properly to walk back to the board again.

The next 30 minutes of the lesson were just Regina talking about what she planned to teach us for the remainder of the year, and what she expects us to remember from last year.

Everytime our eyes met each other's, she would stare at me for a few seconds, and then look away as if she had to force herself to. I never looked away, mostly because I couldn't. I was getting better at this game and it seemed to frustrate her. She was playing with me but it was my turn to play back.

At the end of the class, everyone heads to PE, the last subject of the day. Regina stays. I linger in the room, pretending I am gathering my things, and when I look up, she is waiting by the door with a raised eyebrow.

'You are going to be late Miss Swan,' she says. Her gaze is purely professional, filled with authority. I wonder what she is doing, teaching teenagers, when she is capable of running the country.

'I was just gathering my things.' I walk towards her, and stop before I leave. I turn to look at her, and say 'By the way, Principal Mills, you haven't given me a chance to answer your question, the one you asked yesterday? Yes Principal Mills, I do.'

I turn on my heels and leave as quickly as possible, my heart beating so fast as if I had just ran a marathon. I can't believe I had just done that, but her surprised face made it all worth it, she looked like she didn't expect me to address it at all. Walking to PE, I can't hide the smile on my face. Things are definitely changing.

**********************************************************************************

'Emma Kitsis! Where were you?' August, my teacher, shouts at me when I finally arrive. 'It's the first day and you're already late!' He looks disappointed. 'Look, you know I like you, you're the only one that seems to even try in my lessons, but that doesn't change anything. I will have to tell the Principal. As penalty, you will do laps around the field until the bell rings. I hope this doesn't happen again, Emma'.