Chapter Six: The First Rendition (part 2)

CHAPTER SIX

Her breath could freeze from the sky and fall upon her feet. Her fingers could turn black and fall into the October River. But her heart? Her heart has already frozen within her chest. Her olive eyes remain empty as they flicker down the dying river. Nobody can be seen for a million miles. That's right, on this snowy dawn, on her 18th birthday; she is the lone girl on the bridge.

Theodore: hey!

She doesn't turn her head. They must not be speaking to her, she thought.

Theodore: It's a little too chilly outside for someone so beautiful to be-

Genesis: What do you want?

Theodore: Heh... not so friendly I suppose.

She lets slip an icy glare, but quickly continues to face the stream.

Genesis: You've never hit on a girl before have you? You couldn't even see my face from there? How stupid do you think I am?!

Theodore: Pardon me. I didn't mean to anger you so greatly. I guess women don't like compliments?

She sighs.

Genesis: Identify yourself. Quickly

He smiles and approaches coolly, running his hands through his scruffy black hair.

Theodore: You're the head girl, Genesis Sinclair.

Her eyes widen, only for a moment. She turns to face him.

Theodore: I don't have nearly such a prestigious title – I have no title in fact! I am Theodore Stalionné, but my friends call me Teddie.

Between them in the cold air is the germinating seed of a relationship, rooted by a long, intense stare penetrating far beyond their hazy eyes.

Genesis: So, Teddie, why are you here?

Theodore: Hmm, for lack of a better cliché, I might ask you the same thing.

Genesis: Hoh...

Her eyes slowly lower. She kicks a pile of snow beyond the railing of the bridge into the water.

Genesis: Don't you ever feel like... you just want to run away from the world? Like you just want the world to fall into the sea?

Theodore: ...wait, that doesn't make any sense.

Her palm immediately meets her forehead.

Genesis: that's the point, for god sakes, do you even poetry? I'm highlighting the impossibility of my dreams.

Theodore: Hey, I didn't take Literature. Art is so much more interesting. Lets see... The whites and cool blues of the fallen snow...could be a representation of your personality. Yes, your words are like icicles!

Genesis: You know you say the exact same kind of thing in English right?

Theodore: Give me a break.

A smile begins to rise to her face once more. The colour is returning to her eyes.

Genesis: I'm sorry. It's been a rough time honestly. I think I might've been lashing out at you a bit.

He sighs and lets his arms down.

Theodore: It's ok. If there is anything I can do-

Genesis: I want to die.

An eerie silence befalls the bridge.

Theodore: Genesis!

Genesis: I've disgraced my family name. My father died a few weeks ago, and told me "I wish you were a man. Gordon was successful; he made something of himself already. Women are absolutely incompetent. You will be nothing more than another family's key to our wealth". Isn't that lovely?!