41: Secrets Are No Fun

Start from the beginning

"Niall Brigant?" Dr. Ludwig asked eyes wide.

"Yeah," we both answered.

"He's my great, great, great times a thousand grandfather," Sookie said.

"You're related to Niall Brigant?" She looked at me and narrowed her eyes. "You're one of his cursed daughters aren't you, the twins?" I looked at Sookie and Bill confused. "Oh, I am so out of here."

"Wait, what curse?" I asked.

"Haven't you ever wondered why you're not like other Halflings? Real Halflings, those with a fae parent?" I shrugged. "You were cursed by your father's enemies, purists who didn't want Halflings having a claim to the throne. They took your powers, or as much as they could take, and you were cursed to be toxic to those around you. Everything you touch dies." She continued towards the door. "If you don't mind, I'm going to see myself out before your curse reaches me too."

After she was gone I looked between Sookie and Bill. "Great, so we have no answers for Bill. And apparently Lily and I are responsible for everything going to shit."

"They're legends," Bill said.

"You knew about this?" I asked shrilly.

"I came across a few fae who knew of you," he explained. "From what I gathered, the stories were largely started by the fairies that stripped your powers. They wanted to make sure that no fae would ever accept you or your sister as heir to the throne."

"I don't want to be queen of some creepy fairy kingdom!" I said. "I just want to be normal and they couldn't even get that right!" I walked towards the door. "I need a minute."

I walked out into the cemetery. I stopped when I reached the Compton family plot. I saw the tombstones of Caroline and Sarah, the ancestors that had given Lily and me our middle names. Next to theirs was Bill's, which marked an empty grave. I sat down.

"Niall, if you're out there somewhere listening to me, I need you to materialize right now." There was a rustle in the trees, but no Niall. "Oh come on, the least you could do is tell me to my face that I'm cursed." Nothing. "I could have called on you so many times, but I didn't. I thought I could handle this all on my own, but I can't do it anymore. I can't lose anyone else."

My phone rang. "Sookie?"

"Niall's here," she said. "I'm making him spaghetti."

OoOoO

It took me little bit to get back to Sookie's. I was in a mood I couldn't shake off. Even though I had called on Niall, I wasn't quite ready to face him. What if he couldn't help Bill? When I got to Sookie's she had already served him. "Want any?" She asked me.

I shook my head. "Not now. Tupperware it for later?" I asked.

Niall looked at me. "So you know about the curse."

"You told him?" I asked Sookie.

She shook her head. "Apparently he's always watching."

"It would've been nice of you to let me know that," I told him.

"It was inconsequential. You and your sister are no different from a Halfling like Sookie. There was no point in telling you what you could have been."

"What about the other part of the curse?" I asked.

He waved me off. "Nonsense. My enemies tried to take your gifts. When I abandoned you and your mother, rumors spread. The tragedies in your lives are not on your shoulders, nor are they on mine."

"Except if you're always watching, you could intervene at anytime. You could save us from the terrible stuff," Sookie said. "You knew I was infecting Bill, why'd you let me do it?"