"I'm sorry."

I kept my tongue from replying how I've heard that sentence way too many times from him. "We're all sorry about something, right? Let's just let it go." I took a sip of my drink in order to have an excuse to do something. Calum was eyeing me, which made me feel even worse.

But I knew that I wasn't capable of just letting it go. We didn't speak for 3 years, that should've been enough time for me to stop thinking about him, but I didn't. I couldn't.

A few more minutes of painful silence with Calum asking questions and me giving him short answers, we finished eating and asked for the bill. Calum insisted on paying, and so did I. We argued about it for at least five minutes, until he quickly slipped his money into the bill and handed it to the waiter.

We got up and as we were walking, Calum leaned his mouth closer to my ear. "Should I hold your hand?" He whispered. Goosebumps erupted on my skin but I didn't let it show.

"Yeah, I guess." I replied in a steady voice. As we neared the double-doors, he didn't hold my hand, but instead he wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me close to his chest. I ignored the hitch in my breath and continued my pace, keeping my face neutral as Calum opened the doors.

Security were pushing the paparazzi back but it didn't stop them from taking pictures. I kept my gaze on the ground, determined to just get to the car when Calum leaned closer again, his lips brushing against my ear as he whispered his words again.

It was intimate, something a real couple would do. I'd applaud Calum if I weren't just itching to put at least a foot of space in between us.

"You could smile, you know."

The flashes seemed to never end.

I turned my head towards Calum as we continued to walk towards his car. I flashed him a toothy grin, trying to make it seem a little realer than it felt. Years of acting came in handy for that.

He smiled back, his much more effortless than mine.

I wished I hadn't seen that stupid smile.

Because he used to smile at me like that. All the time. But.. with a bit more twinkle in his eyes.

His dimples, the way his eyes scrunched at the side, it wall all too familiar.

It brought me back to when we were both ten years-old, the day we first met. He had just moved into the house beside mine, and while his family had been busy carrying the boxes inside their new house, Calum was sitting on the sidewalk with his face in his palms and a distant look in his eyes. I was a very curious kid, and I guess that was the reason I had gathered the courage to exit my house and walk towards the stranger and sit down beside him. His parents had been busy, but I caught Mali-Koa was eyeing us from inside through the window.

"Why do you seem so upset?" Were the first words to exit my mouth. I had expected him to turn his head towards me, maybe even spare me a glance, but he kept his face forward when he replied. "I didn't want to move. I liked where I used to live. I had friends. And I liked my old school. Now, I feel like poop." The kid was pouting, his eyebrows had knotted together in what seemed to be annoyance. He hadn't been annoyed at me, at least, I thought he wasn't. "I'm sorry, I guess." My old self mumbled. "But, I'm sure you'll feel better soon. This place isn't bad, plus there's a basketball court. The other kids aren't that bad, either. I'm sure you'll find something you'll like."