Zero

Zayn sat at the top of the stairs looking down at all of his cousins.

" Liam! Niall! I missed you guys so much." Zayn smiled as Hera jumped up hugging both of his cousins.

His uncle and aunt had just arrived with their children and everyone was very excited. They lived in their rented apartment in London and had come over for the weekend. Eli, his dad Harry's brother, worked as a manager in a clothing factory, while, his wife, Gabriel was a stay at home mom. Their oldest son Niall was five years old. With his brown hair and blue eyes, he was an exact replica of his father. He had just started going to school and never stopped boasting about all the new words he learned. His younger brother Liam was three, a year younger than Zayn. He had his mother's brown hair and brown eyes but his face cut was more like his father's. The youngest of them all was a one-year-old baby girl, Harriet. She was one of the cutest baby that Zayn had ever seen but to him, Stan was cuter than her.

Stan was his Aunt Fiona's son. Fiona was Harry's older sister, her husband had left the country in search of a job and now he lived there. They had four children. Darren, the eldest son was 15 years old. He was a huge guy, with his stunned height and excess weight, but his mother still treated him like a fragile child. After that was Annie, she was 13 years old and already a very responsible girl. She loved helping her mother and she had all the qualities that one would like in an ideal women. Hera was next in line. Being the youngest child for a very long time, she was extremely spoiled. She was merely seven but treated everyone as if they were the scum of the earth and she was some kind of royalty. Last but not the least was Stan. He seven months older than Harriet, and Zayn's best friend.

Harry and Louis had been living with Fiona even before Zayn's birth. They usually stayed in the upper portion of the two-story house, in their designated little room. His Dad only left for work while his Papa rarely left the room. Zayn liked staying in the room, there was less noise when he was in the room. No one yelled in their room. The four-year-old boy never went downstairs without one of his fathers, and even then he liked hiding behind their legs and staying quiet.

He could speak alright, unlike what some of his family members thought, he just didn't like to. The raven haired lad liked watching people as they talked, listening to them and absorbing their expressions. He just didn't like talking himself. Maybe it was because of his shy nature or maybe it was something else but he didn't like talking to people who were not his parents.

Most of the times when he wanted to interact with someone he would sit on the top of the steps, peeking through the railing, to look downstairs. He would watch everyone as they remained occupied in their work, unaware of his presence. Zayn liked knowing that nobody could see him and he could look at them however he liked. He would sit there for however long he wanted before turning back and walking into his room back to his father.

So when his Papa told him that Uncle Eli was coming over with his family, Zayn had excitedly sat on his step looking downstairs, anticipated. He had waited for the longest of times, watching as Hera and Annie set the table of the living room placing a lot of nice smelling food on it. He diverted his gaze from the food, trying not to get hungry as his Dad had not yet returned and he would only be able to eat until he came back with it. For a second he wondered what was his Dad going to bring today. If it was going to be nuggets or fries? before shaking his head as his stomach grumbled in excitement. He looked down trying to see if anybody had noticed him but was distracted as the front door opened revealing his uncle and his family.

He frowned as Aunt Fiona hugged Aunt Gabriel before turning towards her brother. Everybody was smiling and had happy expressions on their faces but all Zayn had, were a few questions. What was different about them? Why did Aunt Fiona love them? Why did she hate him and his parents? He tilted his head, a sad expression on his face but smiled when he saw Liam and Niall. Hera was talking to them animatedly with her face glowing and her eyes tingling. Zayn wanted to talk to them and play with them but he did not move.