09

A/N: I am so so sorry for not having updated in so long. I moved to San Diego and I was an intern at a doctor's office. Wish I had had the time to update. Thank you for being patient and loyal, hopefully I will be able to complete this story. It's a short (and shitty) update, but I just wanted to get something out to you guys!

Also, my bad experience with lakes (below) really did happen.

The searing humidity crept along the Georgia farmland and with it, a hope that Hershel had a lake near his land. If I was willing to overlook my bad experience with swimming in lakes, the world really must have ended. In fairness, my previous encounter involved a catfish that nibbled on my foot and until now I wouldn't have considered stepping into freshwater.

 That morning, Carol and I constructed a makeshift clothesline using a few yards of rope that we tied between two sturdy trees. While she hung the damp clothes on the clothesline, I scrubbed the remaining dirty clothes in a metal basin. It was odd to think that before the end of the world clothes were dirtied with stuff like wine and spaghetti sauce, now they were dirtied with blood- whether it was walkers' or our own. 

"You seem to have adjusted really well to the group," Carol said suddenly and shot me a smile. "Everyone has taken a real liking towards you, I think."

"Well, I try," I shrugged, giving her a small smile. "I think everyone but Daryl seems to like me," I said half-jokingly as I spotted him within my line of vision. As always, he had a scowl on his face and his crossbow hung over his shoulder. I was convinced if I saw the man's childhood photos he would be sporting a frown.

"Oh, he's like that with everyone," Carol smiled as she clipped a damp shirt to the clothesline. "He has his moments." 

I raised my brows slightly, a motion for her to continue. 

"Hard to imagine, I know," Carol chuckled when she saw the surprise etched on my face. "But he brought me this beautiful white flower that represents strength and hope- called a Cherokee Rose."

"That was very kind of him," I said thoughtfully. "I suppose I'm not being entirely fair towards him. He's certainly warranted a lifetime supply of grimacing since Rick handcuffed Merle to the roof."  

I spotted a yawning Lori emerge from the tent, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Well, good morning to you," I jested Lori as she made her way over to us and pulled some clothes from the laundry basket. 

It was unusual for anyone to sleep in nowadays. I suppose the end of the world and the walking dead have that effect on your sleep.

"I can't believe I slept in," Lori said, clipping the laundry to the thin rope.

Carol said," You must have needed it. Are you feeling all right?"

Lori nodded. "Next time wake me up, especially on laundry day."

"We can manage," I said to Lori. Laundry was not my favorite thing to do, not even when I had a machine do it for me, but I wanted to do my share of work. I was another mouth to feed and I needed to earn my place here.

"I have an idea," Carol announced near the end of finishing laundry. "Hershel's big kitchen got me thinking, I wouldn't mind cooking in a real kitchen again. Maybe we can all pitch in and cook dinner for Hershel and his family tonight.  As a sort of thank you."

"After everything they've done for us, seems like the least we can do," I agreed. 

Carol asked Lori, "You mind extending the invitation? It would feel more right coming from you."