02

Edited.

Shane and Carl's failed attempt at catching frogs got Andrea thinking. Frogs weren't the only things living in the quarry. She and Amy both knew how to fish and after the incident with Ed, Andrea wanted to cool off. Now, Andrea and Amy were sat in a small rowboat in the middle of the quarry holding fishing lines. They were planning a feast for tonight and had invited me along, but I declined saying that my lack of knowledge on fishing would keep them on the boat for days.

I was on the roof of the RV helping Dale keep watch. I found that Dale was a profound, rather feisty man that was not afraid to speak his mind. I lifted the binoculars to my eyes and scanned the camp. 

Jim's head and shoulders were visible above a screen of bushes. He was digging, large shovelfuls of dirt flying into the air. I frowned. I couldn't see what Jim was digging, but I couldn't help but feel a deep sense of unease curdled up in my chest.

Dale noticed. "Do you see something?"

I shrugged, handing him the binoculars. I pointed to where Jim was. "I'm not sure what Jim is doing over there."

"Jim's great with car's but I've never seen him show much aptitude for manual labor," Dale said as he watched Jim. "Go check on him. I need to keep watch on the camp," he handed me a canteen full of water, "And give him this."

I climbed down the RV and approached Jim, who had dug a number of wholes in the ground, almost like graves. His clothes were dirt-grimed and damp with his sweat.

I stared at the holes in the ground. What the hell was he doing?

Jim didn't bother to look up as I neared. He seemed desperate about was he was doing, plunging the shovel into the ground, shovelful after shovelful.

"Jim... are you okay?" My eyes followed the shovel. "Dale wanted me to check on you."

Unease knotted tighter in my chest. Since I had arrived at camp, Jim had spent most of his time with Dale, working on the RV or another vehicle. I didn't know him personally but I knew this behavior was unusual for him- for anyone.

I tried again. "You keep this up, you're gonna keel over out here."

Still, Jim kept on shoveling through the dirt. I held out the canteen full of water. "Drink some water at least."

Jim paused long enough to glance up at the canteen. Then he resumed digging. I didn't know what else I could do. I didn't know him well enough to know if he would turn nasty if I kept on pressing him. All I knew is that he would become severely dehydrated soon. 

  I started back towards the RV, throwing Jim worried glances, but he continued shoveling through the ground.

*** 

"He wouldn't stop. Not even for a drink,"I told Dale, who was atop of the RV. He set down his binoculars and climbed down the steps. 

I fell into step with him as Andrea and Amy strode into camp with their heads held high, and a haul of fish carried between them. The group gleamed with excitement at the thought of filling their bellies. 

Andrea spotted me and Dale walking into camp. "Hey, Dale," Andrea said. "When's the last time you oiled those line reels? They are a disgrace."

Dale barely looked at her at the catch that Morales was eagerly carrying. Dale's expression was serious; thick eyebrows drawn together, eyes dark with concern. "I, uh, I don't want to alarm anyone but..." he hesitated.