06

A/N: This chapter is short, but expect another update later today!

One gunshot. Then, silence.

There was nothing we could do about it, but still the question lingered: why?

"Rick wouldn't risk a gunshot to put down one walker, or Shane," Lori said as we treked back towards the highway. "They'd do it quietly."

Daryl said, "Can't run around these woods chasin' echoes."

"What do we do?" Lori asked worriedly.

"Same as we've been," Daryl said. "Beat the bush for Sophia, work our way back to the highway."

"I'm sure they'll meet up with us back at the RV," I assured Lori. She gave me a slight nod before glancing behind us and falling into step behind Daryl.

"I'm sorry for what you're going through," Andrea said to Carol. "I know how it feels."

The group paused walking through the woods.

"I suppose you do. Thank you," Carol said. "The thought of her, out here by herself It's the not knowing that's killin' me. I just keep hopin' and prayin' she doesn't wind up like Amy."

I sucked in a breath and flinched at the sound of Amy's name.

Carol's eyes widened at the realization of what she had said. She clasped Andrea's hands in hers. "Oh God. That's the worst thing I've ever said."

Andrea closed her eyes and shook her head for a few moments, trying to refrain from saying anything cruel. She finally opened her eyes and gave a slight smile. "We're all hoping and praying with you, for what it's worth."

Daryl stomped over and gave the two women a steely gaze. "I'll tell you what it's worth- not a damn thing. It's a waste of time all this hoping and praying 'cause we're gonna locate that little girl, she's gonna be just fine." He glanced between Carol and Andrea. "Am I the only one zen around here? Good lord."

Daryl drifted back to the front of the group and led the way back to the highway.

"Lead the way, zen master," I joked.

Daryl turned around and gave me a blank stare. "Shut up."

After a few miles, my pace had slowed and I had somehow ended up at the rear of the group, next to Glenn.

When I found myself glancing at him from time to time, I quickened my pace. It was one thing staying with this group. Working with them. Eating with them. Feeling comfortable around them. Caring about their well-being. That was all fine, but having a crush, developing feelings that made my heart flutter was not okay.

My palm's became sweaty at the thought of having Glenn near. I hadn't experienced nerves like this since college.

I've felt nerves before but never like this.

Looking at Glenn made me feel like there was sunshine trapped inside of me. Sometimes I could feel myself melting into a wanting so desperate it scorches my skin.

I mentally cursed myself because what was this? Middle school? If I could survive the world ending, I figured I could survive a stupid crush.

I asked, "How much farther?"

"Not much. Maybe a hundred yards, as the crow flies," Daryl said, wiping the sweat on his forehead with the back of his hand.

"Too bad we're not crows," Andrea said as her stride slowed to a slow trudge.

I walked past her and fell into step with the rest of the group.

Suddenly, Andrea screamed.

She was on the ground and kicking at a walker when we saw her. We ran to her rescue when a short-haired woman on a horse beat us to it. She raised a bat and swung at the walker's head. The horse stopped between us and Andrea.