05

Edited.

I was not a God-fearing woman for I wasn't brought up in any religion. However, I found myself praying throughout the day. I prayed for a chance. I prayed Fort Benning would be able to give us that chance we so desperately needed.

Before, I had hoped the CDC would restore our faith. Instead, it took away our hope of ever finding a safe haven. Of ever finding a cure. It took away Jacqui. I was more hopeless now than ever. But still, I prayed.

The RV's engine sputtered. "Oh, jeez," I muttered as the RV came to a stop.

We were vulnerable out on the road. Especially now since the RV broke down and we were enclosed by abandoned cars.

"I said it," Dale stated as the group surrounded the RV. "Didn't I say it? A thousand times. Dead in the water."

"Problem, Dale?" Shane asked, taking in the surroundings.

"This is a graveyard," Lori said, holding Carl closer. "I don't know how I feel about this."

"Come on, y'all," Shane said. "Just look around. Gather what you can."

Glenn pulled me aside. "Here," he said, handing me a knife. I recognized it. He had told me to use it back at the quarry. "I want you to keep it."

"You sure?" I asked.

He said, "I want you to be safe." 

I nodded in response.

He left to help Dale with the radiator hose, while I left to search for supplies. I approached a nearby car and found clothes. I stretched out a blue t-shirt in front of me and decided to keep it for myself. It was hard to come by clothes that weren't bloodied.

Rick hurried past me, a crazed look in his eyes. "Under the cars," he ordered in a hushed voice.

A panicked feeling overcame me. The hair on the back of my neck rose before I quickly sprawled myself under a car. I gripped my knife in my hand.

I held my breath when dozens of walkers shuffled past me. I was scared to make any noise so I pressed the palm of my hand to my mouth. God, I was so scared.

Minutes passed when the sounds of groans were no longer heard. Still, I remained hidden under the vehicle, knowing there were still a few stragglers.

I heard someone cry out. I recognized the voice. Sophia.

I sprung out from under the car.

"Lori," Carol cried. "There's two walkers after my baby." Carol held a hand to her mouth, trying to hold back her sobs and Lori held her back. Glenn and Shane came up behind.

I wasn't thinking when I climbed over the railing and followed Rick. I only thought of Sophia and how frightened she was.

A hand gripped the hem of my shirt and yanked me back. "No way," Glenn said, holding me back.

"I have to help," I tried to force his calloused hand off. "Let go!"

"Rae, you're crazy if you think I'm gonna let you run off," Glenn said, pulling his arm around me. What was his problem? Was he not thinking about Sophia?