03

Edited.

I sat on a folding chair atop of Dale's RV, watching the sun spill its light across the silhouetted buildings of Atlanta. It was a beautiful sight, but it would take more than a beautiful sunrise to wash away the horror of last night. 

I had grown tired of weeping last night so I had climbed to the top of the RV and relieved Dale of keeping watch.

I had wept for how shitty the world had become, but mostly I wept for Amy. Although I had seen my fair share of gruesome deaths, I was not immune to seeing people being torn apart in front of me.

The early sun blazed down the camp, but I barely felt the heat. I looked down the side of the RV and watched Andrea holding Amy's lifeless hand. Andrea had been there all night and I doubted she would move any time soon. Amy looked remarkably peaceful in death, her blonde hair fanned out around her neck. If it wasn't for the hideous gash in her neck and the blood staining her white shirt, Amy looked like she was sleeping.

Lori came and crouched besides Andrea. I looked away and watched Glenn, Daryl, and T-Dog, who had the grisly task of cleaning up the mess of last night. The hardest part was making sure none of the dead were getting back up. Glenn and T-Dog piled the roamer's bodies into a huge fire.

The human bodies were handled with more care.

I looked back down the Andrea, then back to Daryl and his pickax. Roamers could only be killed if the brain was destroyed. Amy's wasn't and sooner or later she'd be getting back up as a roamer. Although Amy was my friend, we'd have to do something about her situation.

I climbed down the RV and walked towards Shane and Rick, who were watching Andrea. Dale was besides them with Lori and Carol. I asked, "Shouldn't we do something about Amy?"

Lori said, "She won't even talk to us. She's been there all night."

"Can't just leave Amy like that, " Shane said after a moment. "We need to deal with it, same as the others."

I glanced at Rick who said, "I'll tell her how it is."

Rick strode over to Andrea, and crouched besides her, "Andrea-"

Andrea whipped around and pointed her gun at Rick. Shane was on his feet and took a step towards them.

"I know how the safety works," she told Rick, who straightened up. Andrea didn't lower the gun until Rick had backed away. After he did, she turned back to Amy's body.

I didn't doubt Andrea would shoot anyone who tried to take Amy away from her. The look in her eyes had said that she wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

A sweaty Daryl strode over, the anger was evident in his eyes. "Ya'll can't be serious? Let that girl hamstring us?" He motioned his hand in Andrea and Amy's direction. "The dead girl's a time bomb."

"What do you suggest?" Rick asked.

Daryl took a step towards him. Blood dripped from the pickax that he was resting on his shoulder. "Take the shot." He pointed two fingers to his own head. "Clean, in the brain, from here. Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance."

I shook my head. "She isn't a turkey. Amy is someone's sister," I said, looking at Andrea. The emotional damage it would cause Andrea would be irreparable. Times were tough now but we were still human.

Lori agreed. She said, "Just let her be."

Rick looked at Shane for better advice, Shane only lifted his eyebrows and shrugged. Daryl realized we weren't going to take his advice, spat on the ground, and strode back to help the others.