Chapter Six ~ Defrosted Brocolli

"What's wrong, baby?" Mum ask over dinner.

"Nothing," I reply, playing with a piece of brocolli. I have my phone next to my plate, hoping Darren will call. Or text. Or something.

"Sure," Mum sighs, "is it that boy?"

"No."

"Alright, well, if you want to talk, I'm right here."

"Sure."

I keep staring at my plate, totally caught up in the pathetic beauty of defrosted brocolli. It's sort of shrivelled... Like my life. Oh, how I love being melodramatic! The carrot is orange like the sunset. The potato white like my lost purity... I begin to cry over the beauty of it. Mum rushes around the table to hug me.

"I'm fine," I choke, "it's just so beautiful!"

"What is, sweetie?" she asks, rocking me gently. I blow my nose in my paper napkin.

"Dinner," I sniff, "dinner is beautiful."

"Oh honey," Mum says, sounding rather alarmed, but also amused.

Buzz Buzz Buzz.

I scoop up my phone and look at the message. It's from Fiona.

Sorry about April, she's just pmsing :p I think it's cool that you're up the creek! Love you sweetie, text me?

Tears still rolling down my face and mum still rocking me I clumsily send her a reply.

Visit me?

I detach myself from Mum and walk up to my bedroom. I look a complete mess. I pick up my hair brush and start untangling my hair. After a few minutes my arm gets tired and I give up. I lean back against my wall and stare at the ceiling, thinking deep thoughts, but after awhile my mind gets tired, so I give that up too.

After my mind begins to wander I hear a knock on the door.

"Yeah?"

Fiona sticks her head in the door.

"Can I come in?" she asks uncertainly. I nod and she slips in and curls up on the end of my bed.

"Hi," she says, smiling.

"Hi," I reply. She leans over and gives me a tight hug.

"I'm here for you," she promises. I hug her back and for a long time we sit holding each other.

"Am?"

"Yeah?"

"Your baby is kicking me."

I laugh and pull away, running my hand across my stomach. Fiona shifts around to sit beside me and lays her head on my shoulder.

"You're going to be a mummy!" she whispers.

"No, I'm not," I reply quietly, "we're giving it up for adoption."

 "What?" Fiona cries. I look down at my carpet.

"It's for the best," I tell her softly. She squeezes my arm.

"I'll be with you the whole way," she says, "the father... Is it-"

"Darren."

My voice is at a whisper. Absentmindedly, I pull out my phone and check it for messages. Nothing. I sigh deeply and send him a quick message, apologising.

"Are you together?" Fiona asks.

"I don't know," I reply. I tell her what happened earlier. As I do an empty feeling grows in my stomach. I feel hollow as I remember the way Darren's mum looked at me.

"You're not a slut!" Fiona cries, hugging me tightly, "what a cow!"

My phone goes off and I discreetly move so Fiona can't see the screen.

Don't be sorry! I would've texted you but I thought you were mad. I'm so sorry about my mum. I gave her a right telling off when you left... Umm... So, awkward, but, got kicked out of home. Could I stay at yours? - xo Darren

My mouth falls open. Kicked out of home!

"Wait here a second," I tell Fiona. I walk downstairs to where Mum is washing the dishes and singing along to Abba. I hit the pause button and lean on the counter.

"Mum, can Darren stay with us for awhile?" I ask, flidding with my phone.

"Why?"

"He got kicked out of home."

"Why?!"

With a deep sigh I explain everything again, leaving out the sex-related details. Mum puts the dish cloth aside, her cheeks turning red as she gets angrier and angrier.

"That stupid woman!" she rages when I'm done, "that horrible bi-"

"Yeah, yeah," I interrupt with a smile, "is that okay?"

"Of course!" she huffs, "give him a chance to have a decent mother!"

"Thanks," I say sincerely, "for everything."

I run upstairs before the moment turns awkward and text Darren saying he can stay. Fiona is looking through a magazine when I walk in.

"Sorry," I say, "Darren is coming over."

"Oh, I'll go," she says, leaping up.

"No, no! It's okay," I say quickly. She stays looking unsure, but eventually sits down. A few minutes later the doorbell rings and I hear heavy footsteps up the stairs. I don't bother getting up to open the door. When he pushes it open a pillow flies past my face and hits him in the chest.

"You ass!" Fiona yells, hitting him with another pillow. I watch, rather amused.

"Am, can you call off your guard, please?" he asks in a tired voice. I pull Fiona away from him and hold the back of her shirt.

"How could you?" she yells, "you just left her! She's pregnant! PREGNANT!"

"Ignore it," I tell him, "you're sleeping on the couch downstairs. I'll make it up later."

"What, no bedroom priviliges?" he jokes.

"You've had enough of those," Fiona rages, pulling her shirt free, "now, if you'll excuse me."

I exchange a look with Darren as she sweeps out.

"She's crazy," he points out, sitting next to me. Before I know what's happening his arms are around me and our lips are locked.

"Shit, what was that?" he asks, pulling away from me. I laugh and put my hand on my stomach.

"That was our baby."