First day--->Normally

"Beba, you gotta wake up." I rub my baby's back softly earning a stir and small groans. "No mama. 'M s'eepin'!" She complained.
"I guess you don't wanna go to school either?"
"School?! Mama we late!!" She jumped out of bed. I've never seen a kid this excited for school since..ever. Normani had told me this one was going to be all about her books.
"I made breakfast, baby girl, so pick out some clothes and we'll go eat."
"Pancakes?" She cocked her head to the side.
"Pancakes, baby, and eggs if you hurry."
"Yay!" She rushed out of bed and ran to her closet.
"This one!" She screamed holding out her ballet tutu.
"Are you sure?" I asked her.
"Si mama!! Can we go see titi Mani a'ter school?" She beamed. "P'ease, mama?"
"I'll call her later, okay? Let's get you dressed!"

After she was dressed, we went downstairs. Since she was sitting still, I had the perfect opportunity to do her hair. Nothing too major, just a small bun. Usually her hair was out or in braids; Dinah or Mani would help out, but since the group disbanded not too long after Camila left, I moved into a petite neighborhood and they taught me small hair styles for her. Lauren had gone to university, but still watched over Penelope from time to time. All of them helped me raise Penny, they kept her entertained. Lauren, of course, taught her simple grammar and math which put her ahead and I'm very thankful for it. Dj taught her how to have fun and defend herself when need be; she had me sign Penny up for Karate. Mani kept her on her toes, always teaching her new dances and taking her to some of her classes. I smiled at the thought of Mani, she's been my rock for so long, I don't know what I would've done without her
"Alright bubba, come on before we're late."

---//////time skip///////---

Once we got to the big building, she began shying down. I got out of the car and walked over to her side and carried her out, grabbing her lunch box and backpack too.
"Penny!" I heard someone shout. Penelope perked up when she heard the voice, not long after Normani came into view. "Mama lemme down!" Penny yelled as I set her on the floor. Her little legs sprinting towards the darker girl.
"Hi, princess! Don't you look beautiful today!" Mani cooed walking towards me, with my daughter on her hip. "Hey babe, I missed you." She admitted wrapping her arm around my shoulder, placing a kiss on my cheek.
"I missed you, too. What are you doing here?"
"Couldn't miss my baby's first day, could I?" She smiled. My heart swelled and my smile grew. We walked into the school hand in hand, finding Penny's classroom rather quickly. Mani put her down and held her hand.

"Mama? P'ease don' go, I don' wan' this! I wanna go home." She whined holding on to me with her free hand.
"Baby, I'm not leaving until you say it's okay, alright? Let's meet your new teacher, hm?" She shook her head and looked up at Normani, lifting her arms into the air. The darker girl quickly obliged, placing my little girl onto her shoulders.
"There now your mama can't get you down," she teased.
"I will bite you if you think you're taking her with you." We continued the banter until someone cleared their throat.
"Hello, I am Mrs. López.." she greeted, a smile etched on her face.
"Oh, um, hello Ms. López, I am Allyson Hernandez and this is Normani Kordei." We shook hands, the teacher looked up at Penny who played with Mani's hair, avoiding every form of contact with this new person.
"Ms. Kordei, not to alarm you, but it seems as if you've got something in your hair." Normani gasped and began frantically tickling Penelope, "looking" for what she had in her hair.
"Where? Is it gonna eat me?" Penny flew into a fit of giggles, leaning back giving me the perfect opportunity to grab her from up there.
After her infectious laugh died down she hid in my neck.
"And who might you be, princess?" The teacher crouched down slightly to get a better view of Penny.
"This is Penelope, baby can you say 'hi' to your teacher?" She shook her head.
"Well then I guess we can't get some ice cream after school then, bug." Mani rubbed her back. Penny shrugged, tears welling up in her eyes. Ms López took that, with the help of the yelling children behind her, as her queue to step away.
"I will let you guys say your goodbyes, when you're done her cubby is right over there. And pick up is at noon. Very nice meeting you ladies. Penelope, when your mommies leave, you can come join us on the rug." She said softly to the shaking girl in my arms. I felt my face heat up slightly but I focused my attention on Penny.
"Thank you." Mani said, Ms. López nodded and quieted down her new class.
"Pen, baby, what's wrong?" I asked her.
"You gonna leave me and 'ever come back!" She hiccuped.
"That's not true, baby girl, I will come back. I promise. Remember when I had to leave you at Lauren's house for a few hours while I went to a meeting?" She nodded sadly. "Well school is just like that, okay? You're gonna make some friends and eat snacks, then mommy will be back before you know it."

"Titi Mani, too?" She asked hopefully, before I could answer Normani had already begun to speak.
"Of course baby!" Her smile broadened. "Mommy and I are going to get some coffee then we will come back." She promised.
Penny looked up hopefully at me, I simply nodded and placed a kiss upon her head. "But you have to be a good girl for us."
"O-otay. I p'omise." I put her down and she walked over to her cubby, putting away all over things.
"P'omise you come back?" A stray tear rolls down her face. I wipe it away quickly. "I promise, pequeña. I will always come back to you." She nodded, hugged us both, timidly making her way to the small rug.

We walked out of the building with our arms linked with one another's.
"So...coffee?" Mani asked. I didn't think she was serious about that.
"Oh, um yeah okay."
"Did you think I was kidding? Babe, when's the last time you had some free time? You've been cooped up in your house for weeks I bet..." Mani thought for a minute before speaking again. "Or at least doing things for and with pen; I love her to pieces but even I know she's a force to be beckoned with."
She's got a point there.
"Oh fine! If I get some coffee with you will you shut up?" She smiled and nodded.
"Actually... dinner as well. Not tonight though. On Saturday night, you are to drop off the little rascal at Lauren's and to be ready by," she glanced at her watch. "No later than 6."
"And what makes you think I'd want to go out with you?"
"Ha! I see the way you look at me, Allyson."
"What? I don'-"
"Hush it, babe. Even if you don't want to admit it out loud...I feel the same. And since I know you, I had to make the first move. Check."
"So now I'm a game of chess?" I smirked sassily.
"Nah, baby girl, you're so much more than a game."  
We headed over to my