What a shame for such well-written papers to be torn up and mixed with water in the blender.

She examined the white—and slightly grey—mixture. Satisfied, she poured it into the paper milk container. She gave it a nice shake, "Eat paper, dear brothers."

* ° * ° *

Over the two days, the letters kept coming, four a day. Almost like they knew they were being ignored. Drew was getting thoroughly frustrated.

"Anything interesting?" Aurora asked from the door. She was her twin sister, and looked almost exactly like Drew, if you ignored her curled hair and pale skin.

Drew was also taller by two centimetres, which she never held back from bragging about. "No," she responded. She folded the envelopes and tucked them into her pocket before pivoting around. "Just the usual coupons."

Her sister shrugged, accepting the answer, and turned back inside.

* ° * ° *

The next morning, Drew woke to something hard hitting her window. She blinked at her alarm clock, which read 4 o'clock.

She cursed and stumbled over to her windowsill. If it was Wilby again, she was going to murder him. Or if it was anyone, for that matter. Nobody could throw rocks at her house and get away with it.

She flung open the window. In the process, she accidentally smacked an owl in the beak and sent it spiralling to the ground.

She gasped and leaned out the window, getting slightly unnerved at the owl on the grass. "Whoops, accident," she told it, starting to feel regretful. Then the owl got to its feet, ruffled its feathers, and flew right back up, straight into her room.

"Oh no you don't," Drew snapped, too annoyed to be relieved. "If you dare poop on my floor..."

She let the threat hang in the air, hoping the owl would get a feeling of impending doom.

The owl simply dropped a letter that it was holding in its claws, and coughed up the remains of a mouse onto her carpet. It looked smug and she swore it was smiling at her.

"Ugh," Drew wrinkled her nose, "if it was Halloween I could hang that up, but it's not, so I have to clean it up. Stupid owl."

The night creature must've understood her, because it pecked her in the foot.

"That's it! Get out of my room! Go bother my brothers!" she snatched the owl off the ground and flung it out the window, slamming it shut.

She picked up the letter.

Miss D. Getaway

No. Way.

Now someone's got a pet owl that could send letters for them? That was just unreal. Her goldfish couldn't do anything except die all the time.

She pushed open her bedroom door and sprinted down the stairs. Skidding to a stop at the living room, she picked up the landline and dialled a familiar number.

She was calling the house of Wilby Blue, a classmate who she suspected had a mad crush on her and was trying to get her attention.

He picked up after two rings, "Hello?"

"Are you trying to send me a message with owls?"

"Uh, sorry, what?" His soft voice was tinged with confusion. "I haven't sent you anything."

Drew hesitated, "You know what? Never mind."

"Wait, did you say —"

Drew hung up. He seemed genuinely bewildered, and she'd never known him to be a liar.